Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
As the Security Engineer at Kin, you will be a core member of the security architecture review board and of the office of information security. You will be responsible for designing and building infrastructure across multiple security domains. You will be making technical decisions specifically taking into account trade-offs between short versus long term security and business objectives. You will handle several difficult problems, make risk-based assessments backed up with data and demonstrate resilience while managing difficult situations.
A day in the life could include:
- Designing and executing on architecture plans, and bringing engineering solutions to reality with a DevSecOps mindset & culture
- Thriving in an immutable infrastructure and git-ops driven environment.
- Collaborating with various stakeholders in multiple technical disciplines: including developers, business intelligence, data engineers, devops, quality assurance, and architects to support existing and implement new security solutions
- Designing, building, operating, and maintaining a data protection/data loss prevention practice
- Performing industry research on new security protocols, and methodologies
- Serving as a technical advisor to management concerning the planning, development, design, procurement, maintenance and implementation of security for enterprise-level systems
- Creating and implementing information systems cloud security best practices and mentoring company personnel
- Mentoring engineering team in secure software development methodologies and best practices.
- Helping to build and configure plans, code pipelines and automated solutions that can be re-used and/or scale.
- Monitoring and evaluating audit and compliance industry trends and third-party tools
- Analyzing industry specific regulatory requirements, and contributing to policies and procedures
- Functioning as a core member of the security architectural review board, and office of information security
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 4+ years working in system, network, and/or application security
- 3+ years of working knowledge doing security and/or infrastructure solution architecture
- 5+ years of expertise engineering and building weapons grade secure cloud architecture with AWS solutions
- Experience and strong understanding of terraform, immutable-infrastructure, git-ops, automation, CI/CD pipelines, and orchestration
- Background deploying web and service-based applications in dockerized environments
- Working knowledge of a configuration management tool (Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc)
- Experience with monitoring tools like Cloudwatch, Splunk, DataDog etc.
- Proficient with multiple programming languages like Java, C++, Ruby, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Understanding of containerization (Docker) and various runtime environments like Fargate, EKS etc.
- Working knowledge of IP networking, VPN's, DNS, load balancing, security groups, VPC’s, WAFs and other cloud detection/protection systems, NAT and packet filtering
- Proficient with various compliance and security control frameworks like NIST, ISO 27001/27002, COBIT, ITIL, CSRC
- Previous work experience at an organization that develops web-based application software
- Demonstrated project management skills & strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to convey technical concepts to individuals with varying levels of technical understanding
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Ability to organize time and project work efficiently
- Bachelor’s degree + certifications, technical training, or other audit and compliance relevant work experience
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.