Security Engineer at Sprout Social
Our security team ensures that we are designing platforms, implementing tools and building products with security in mind. This team owns the security posture of our entire organization, including our development, production environments, and internal concerns.
As a security engineer at Sprout, we're looking for someone who knows more
than how to run a scanning tool: you'll leverage your knowledge of distributed systems to work and collaborate with engineers and IT staff to increase the protective, monitoring, reporting and mitigation capabilities of the Security team. You will help establish a risk based pipeline, manage and own cross-organizational projects and work to continuously improve our security posture. As a cloud native company, you'll be involved in securing our cloud environments and working with SaaS-based tooling.
If you are fluent in risk identification and mitigation and stay up to date on the latest security threats and trends in our industry, we'd love to talk with you!
These are the minimum qualifications that our hiring team is looking for in this role:
- 3+ years of information security experience
- Understanding of computer networking and systems (compute, storage, OS -- especially Linux) and their interactions
- Information security qualification such as CISSP or GSEC or equivalent
- 2+ years of programming experience (Python, Shell, Go)
- Experience performing and improving security operations (including investigations and incidents) and tooling (SIEM, SOAR, Scanning toolkits)
- Experience Sprout's in-depth onboarding, covering everything from our company mission and values, hearing directly from executives and founders, to deep training on our products and the value that Sprout delivers to our customers
- Make a plan with your manager to set initial priorities, align on expectations for your role, plant goalposts for your career, and learn about Sprout's approach to security
- Be introduced to Sprout's security stakeholders across the organization
- Learn our existing tooling and begin monitoring the status of our environments
- Collaborate regularly with teammates and members of our infrastructure and development teams and get up to speed on our current and future initiatives
- Get regular team feedback on your approach to managing and engaging our existing risks and security capabilities
- Work with your manager and teammates to create and prioritize quarterly team goals
- Begin to deconstruct larger security projects into smaller, more manageable deliverables
- Start to understand the breadth and depth of technologies and tools under the team's purview
- Review, refine and triage alerts triggered from our IDS, vulnerability management tools,and other monitoring platforms
- Participate in Security on-call rotation
- Build connections with members from other teams through active networking and community building to help foster a security-first culture
- Improve the security tooling and telemetry used at Sprout
- Identify security gaps within our systems, present plans to mitigate risks, and work with teams to get them prioritized within their workstreams
- Generate and improve upon internal and external security policies and standards
- Help drive internal security awareness training and phishing programs
- Regularly evaluate and report security health and recommendations
- Have your first performance conversation with your manager, where you'll discuss your accomplishments in your role and work together to build goals for your professional growth
- Partner with engineering, IT and other teams to continuously improve our ability to deliver reliable and secure services
- Be a go-to expert and security representative within Sprout
- Help define and build the security roadmap for future work
- Work and effectively communicate with other groups across the organization to ensure big-picture alignment and encourage cross-team collaboration
- Own cross-organizational projects, demonstrating project management skills, consensus building, and strong leadership
- Have opportunities to contribute to in-house technical presentations, employee onboarding, and workshops that share your expertise with large groups of Sprout employees
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change Sprout Security in beneficial ways that we haven't considered yet
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team's shared belief in Sprout's mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.
We're proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment-your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our [email protected] program, employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and mentorship programs for aspiring leaders
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago's Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity-
race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our 2021 DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.