We are looking for an experienced Security Engineer to help us change the mortgage industry completely!
The Financial technology space "Fintech" is booming and Guaranteed Rate is at the center of it. We are growing like crazy, and are one of the most successful Chicago startups. We are focused on automating the mortgage process for consumers. Imagine getting a mortgage with no email, no faxing, no stack of papers in 10 days or less instead of 40 or more! If you have been through the process of buying a home you know how amazing this will be. We are one of the largest lenders in the country and one of only 2 that is independent (not a bank) so we are in a good spot to win this race. We have already made tremendous strides and we are looking for someone who wants to help us finish the job and disrupt the entire industry.
Who is GR?
Guaranteed Rate is not your typical company and certainly not your typical mortgage company. We are technology driven, have tons of energy and we love what we do – great people and great products alongside our impeccable customer service (83 NPS, unheard of!). We’re in a River North office with exposed brick and duct work, windows we can actually open during the summer. The awesomeness doesn’t end there, we also have:
- Holiday parties? We got’em! Not just major holidays, any holiday….Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Opening Day, Boxing Day (for our Canadian employee), Sweetest Day, Groundhog Day, etc..
- Game room, library and white board paint for collaboration – yeah, it’s awesome.
- Access to our free GR nurse practitioner. Psshh who needs a doctor’s appointment when our nurse can do it all? Did we mention the free part?
- 401k with some matching, Blue Cross health care coverage – yup, dental and vision too, short-term disability, life insurance – we got ya covered on this one, legal assistance – for a small monthly fee.
- Oh and did we mention you get a big fat employee discount on the origination fees to get a new mortgage or refinance thru Guaranteed Rate?
Reporting to the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), you’ll join a boisterous and growing team of diverse, passionate information security professionals who are on a mission to protect customer and employee data, defend Guaranteed Rate’s applications and infrastructure and support the compliance requirements of operating multiple national businesses. We demand excellence and give a sh!t so the standards for joining the team are very high.
In this new role, you’ll have a tremendous opportunity to help design, build and shape Guaranteed Rate’s evolving security program. We’re looking for a hands-on, experienced Senior Security Engineer who can think, design and execute across a broad set of security disciplines and domains. If you’re interested in a predictable, mundane job with few surprises than this is not the role you are looking for. If you’re up for discussing the merits of different security approaches, debating architecture/design and implementation tradeoffs, and jumping into execution to make it happen while remaining nimble to incoming security requests, then this could be a potential fit. You’ll spend about 20% of your time on security architecture and design, 70% on building and implementing solutions, 10% on operations and any remaining time playing ping pong, hanging out with your colleagues and petting dogs in the office.
We’re looking for someone who has broad security experience behind him or her and can lead one or more efforts to support our security program and make a lasting impact.
- 5+ years engineering and operating various security technologies
- Significant knowledge and experience designing, building and operating security technologies and processes that cross devices, applications, networks, data and users
- Ability to collaborate with internal teams to build and deploy security technologies, standards, and processes
- Experience working in Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies
- Some knowledge of scripting languages such as vbscript, powershell, perl, etc.
- General knowledge of information security controls; think CIS Top 20
- A growth mindset with a desire to learn and adapt through seeking new challenges
If joining a growing, fast-paced, entrepreneurial company on a self-directed information security team to focus and solve a variety of security challenges sounds appealing to you, let’s have a conversation.