Senior Backend Engineer
Senior Backend Engineer
Cameo, one of TIME Magazine's 50 Most Genius Companies of 2018 and one of Chicago’s fastest growing and most exciting tech startups, is looking for passionate and hardworking individuals to help propel Cameo to the next level.
You’ll be joining a quickly growing team of smart, curious and driven colleagues, and be able to experience a rocket ship from its earliest days. We want you to be excited about coming to work every day, knowing that the work you dedicate yourself to will have a material impact and will help shape the direction of the next great tech company. We have an amazing culture, and hope you’ll be a part of it!
We’re well-funded, we have an awesome team, a fun product & a great product-market fit. We have all the benefits you’d expect from a rocketship startup. We also have some of the benefits you may not expect: health insurance, 401(k), access to resources of a top tech incubator, and opportunities to hang out with the Talent on Cameo.
What you will do:
- Design, build and improve APIs, services, and systems across Cameo’s engineering teams
- Help scale our backend architecture and migrate to a service-oriented future
- Ensure standards for engineering excellence, scalability, reliability, and reusability
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Mentor junior engineers and build new engineering leaders for the organization
A few things about yourself:
- You take pride in your work
- You have a strong product sense
- You enjoy working with fun people
- You are a doer who is comfortable with ambiguity
Things we hope you’ll bring to the table:
- 5+ years experience building scalable, resilient backend systems
- Proficiency in concepts related to data modeling, data storage (SQL, NoSQL), data streaming (Kafka, Kinesis), and caching (Redis)
- Enjoy, and have experience building, efficient, typesafe and documented APIs (gRPC, Thrift, GraphQL, Swagger, JSON:API)
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- You are able to take complex product goals and efficiently deliver working software in logically consumable pieces and on schedule
- Possess excellent practical judgement. You should know how to effectively allocate your time when solving hard problems
Bonus points if you have experience or are eager to learn about:
- AWS ecosystem- Redshift, SQS, Kinesis, API Gateway, and Lambda
- Test- or Behavior-Driven Development (TDD, BDD) practices
- Event-driven architecture
- Scaling microservices
- Information security standards & methodologies
- Container (Docker) and container orchestration experience (Mesos, Kubernetes)
- Infrastructure as code (Terraform, Cloudformation, Ansible)
Cameo is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for every person who walks through our doors. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. Cameo celebrates and embraces diversity.