Hi, We’re Rheaply 👋
Over the past year, the world has cultivated a new sense of appreciation for everyday stuff. With global supply chains collapsing and operating budgets shrinking across the board, we have seen the demand for goods and services skyrocket. The obvious solution to being more resourceful and cost-conscious has been to increase the value of everything already around us. At Rheaply, we’re helping organizations do that by developing better inventory management and resource-sharing tools. Although rewarding, this problem is not ours alone to solve, which is why we need extraordinary talented people like you to join our team. While we’re also excited to one day meet in person (and hopefully soon!), we are ready to conduct our entire interviewing and onboarding process remotely.
Founded in 2016, Rheaply, Inc. is a Chicago-based technology company focused on solutions for making organizations more efficient, sustainable, and connected. Rheaply has developed and launched the only exchange technology for researchers to share their ideas and surplus resources with colleagues to reduce time, costs, as well as environmental waste. On Rheaply’s Asset Exchange Manager (AxM), users from all departments can access resources and expertise from colleagues in the same organization or beyond. Recently, Rheaply has been featured in The New York Times, Nature, VERGE, and Greenbiz, chosen as a 10 Big Idea in Innovation by Chicago Magazine, a Circular Economy Solver by MIT SOLVE, and received the 2019 Sustainable Procurement Leadership (SPLC) Award for Circular Economy Leadership among other notable awards and recognitions.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Rheaply, you’ll be making a positive impact on the planet by building software that promotes reuse and reduces waste. You’ll join a well-knit, cross-functional team and have the freedom to make impactful contributions.
We are in the process of scaling our engineering team and reviewing all previous design decisions, allowing you to have a major influence in both the architecture, design and implementation of our core products and services. Please note this role is currently remote.
What You’ll Do
- You will work within a tightly-knit product and engineering team to build software that promotes reuse and sustainability.
- You will build backend services to facilitate web-based applications and other core offerings.
- You will use the breadth of your software engineering expertise to implement pragmatic solutions designing and implementing APIs.
- You will work with SQL and NoSQL databases, such as PostgreSQL and DynamoDB, and messaging/streaming platforms, such as Kafka.
- You will optimize performance and devise optimal solutions across all layers of our stack, including, but not limited to: application, infrastructure, and networking.
- You will work with SRE/s to support the entire software development life cycle across all our core offerings.
- You will be a leader and valuable participant in design reviews, code reviews, and discussions around application architecture.
- You will conceive and build internal tooling to improve workflows across the entire company.
- You will work on an exceptional team that is passionate about our product, about crafting elegant solutions, and protecting our planet.
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of experience working as a Software Engineer.
- You are proficient in working with data structures and algorithms.
- You have extensive experience with RESTful APIs and have had exposure to at least one alternative technology such as gRPC or GraphQL.
- You have had extensive exposure to web-based backend application development and have worked deeply with microservice and/or service-oriented architectures.
- You have strong working knowledge of Linux.
- You have experience working with one or more of the following: Kubernetes, AWS ECS, AWS Fargate, Docker, and/or any other container and orchestration technologies.
- You have extensive experience with one or more AWS services, with exposure to GCP and/or Azure a huge plus.
- You have experience with Kafka, NATs, and/or any other distributed streaming technologies.
- You have experience with ElasticSearch or other adjacent technologies.
- You have strong knowledge of relational databases, such as PostgreSQL, and exposure to one or more NoSQL databases.
- You have an inherent curiosity and a deep desire to develop a profound understanding of the tools you work with and to teach those around you.
- A scrappy, motivated team player who can lead and contribute to a diverse team of individuals and expertise
- A builder who can pivot to the needs of a growing business
- Inquisitive, research-focused, and ready to learn
- Willing to align with Rheaply’s Core Values (see below)
At Rheaply, we envision a world where all assets and resources are highly visible, searchable, and reusable. Oh, and we love what we do, like, really love what we do. So, join us today to help us achieve our mission!
Rheaply’s Core Values
At Rheaply, we thrive to provide the most seamless experience for our AxM users, enabling our client organizations to achieve full utilization of their assets, thereby reducing costs and waste by keeping valuable resources in circulation. As a team, we pledge to execute our work in accordance with our seven Core Values.
- We Listen to & Delight Our Users — Our users are our most important stakeholders. We strive to provide a seamless user experience and add value to users across client organizations. We eagerly assess feedback and do our best to empathize with their unique problems and challenges.
- We Encourage Individual Growth, Innovation, & Happiness — Our people are our most valuable assets. Rheaply’s success is dependent upon the collective drive, intelligence, and contributions of all of our team members. We care deeply for the wellbeing of each team member and ensure that they have the support and mentorship they need to succeed at Rheaply and beyond.
- We Value Transparency, Humility, & Open Communication — The key determinant to our successful market execution is our ability to communicate and share successes, learnings, insights, struggles, and solutions across our teams. We endeavor to cultivate a culture of intelligence and humility. We care about hearing each member’s voice and understanding their unique perspectives.
- We Care About Our Communities & the Environment — We are driven by the mission to reduce society's environmental footprint and accelerate the transition to a circular economy. We live by our mission of promoting environmental awareness and waste reduction.
- We Promote a Collaborative Culture of Learning & Problem-Solving — We are committed to finding simple solutions to complex problems. We are constantly learning from each other, our clients, and our competitors. We strive to understand problems at the granular level and become industry experts in building and deploying sustainable solutions.
- We Are Tenacious & We Own Our Work — We are relentless in facilitating the transition to a more circular world. We hold ourselves accountable for our words and our actions, both internally and in the marketplace.
- We Strive to be Helpful — We view the work we do as daily efforts to help and support each other, our clients, our users, and our planet.
Rheaply, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, interns, volunteers, subcontractors.