SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Senior DevOps Engineer II supports the Product and Technology Department by developing and building IT solutions, installing and configuring solutions, and implementing reusable components. They will also translate technical requirements, assist with all stages of test data, develop interface stubs and simulators, and perform script maintenance and updates. This candidate must have experience in designing and implementing cloud solutions in Azure or AWS public cloud.
- Recommend alternate choices and trade-offs for various design decisions; investigate performance and process failures and work to improve them.
- Developing and build IT solutions, install and configure solutions, implement reusable components, translate technical requirements, and assist in all stages of the software development cycle.
- Stay apprised of new developments in both Azure and AWS cloud operations and help in determining architectural solutions to enhance the stability and performance of the infrastructure.
- Gain a deep application-level knowledge of the systems as well as contributing to their overall design.
- Work closely with other internal teams to build security, reliability, and scalability into the development lifecycle.
- Dive deep into the software stack to troubleshoot as needed and in resolving Windows and Linux operating system issues.
- Build engineering automation and productivity tools to streamline and scale applications in the production environment.
- Build from the ground up reliable infrastructure services in AWS and Azure to deliver highly scalable services.
- Automate cloud operations using Infrastructure as Code tools and Configuration management tools.
- Fosters a positive team environment
- Ensures confidentiality of internal and external data
- Performs ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
- Learning Agility – Advanced
- Analysis – Advanced
- Problem Solving – Advanced
- Prioritization – Advanced
Role Specific Skills
- Education Level [undergraduate degree]
- Experience in AWS or Azure Cloud and container technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- Storage solutions: Redis, MySQL & Postgres, MongoDB, Kafka, Cassandra
- CI/CD: Jenkins CI, Git, Gitlab CI, Helm for Kubernetes
- Programming: Experience in Golang, PHP, Python, Perl or Ruby. Scripting in Bash and Powershell is required.
- Tools: JIRA, Confluence, Git, Chef, Ansible, Terraform, Helm, Prometheus, Grafana
People Management Skills
- Proficient in basic people management processes
- Proficient in leading a small team on a day to day basis, within a broader organization structure]
- Bachelor’s Degree or MS in Engineering or equivalent
- 5 years of prior experience in development and system administration, or related IT, computer, or operations field
- Strong background in Public clouds like AWS or Azure along with Linux/Windows Administration.
- Experience with managing various clusters like Kafka, Cassandra, MongoDB, Mysql, Redis, Hadoop; CI/CD tools, scripting such as Golang, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby. Bash and Powershell experience is required.
- Experience in Scrum/Kanban/SAFe, Agile workflow methodologies
Other Relevant Qualifications
- Certified AWS Solutions Architect or equivalent certification
- Basic Network certification (CCNA, CCNP)
- Experience in Docker with ECS and Kubernetes with EKS
- Experience in ElasticSearch, Kibana, LogStash, Prometheus
- Experience in cluster management of Kafka, Cassandra, Hadoop or Spark
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.