Senior DevOps Engineer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Do you want to be involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented individual to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists.
*** BASED ON CANDIDATE PREFERENCE THIS POSITION CAN BE BASED IN OUR HEADQUARTERS IN RIVERWOODS ILLINOIS OR OUR DOWNTOWN CHICAGO OFFICE ***
In this role, you will use your experience and hands-on approach with next generation technologies to contribute to a team that performs custom (JS/Java) application development work utilizing container (Docker & OpenShift Container Platform) and cloud (AWS) platforms.
- Contributing member of a high performing, agile team focused on creating the next generation portfolio management platform for the enterprise.
- Work closely with clients and BT team members to understand the departmental stakeholder requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions will be aligned with Discover and BT strategies and compliant with DFS’s architectural standards.
- You will participate in all aspects of the software development lifecycle which includes estimating technical design, implementation, documentation, testing, and deployment.
- Deliver container-based solutions utilizing the Docker orchestrator in OpenShift Container Platform as part of our cloud migration, app modernization and cloud-native development services on AWS.
- Build application development and deployment pipeline.
- Design and support container image lifecycle management systems.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in Software Engineering, DevOps, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 2+ years delivering enterprise business solutions on Docker, with demonstrable experience architecting modern microservices applications. (OpenShift, Docker)
- 4+ years Linux/Unix experience including basic commands, shell scripting and solution engineering
- 4+ years experience in design and implementation REST API-based micro-services using Java, SpringBoot, and Gradle
- 2+ years experience with CI/CD pipelines (Git, Jenkins, JFrog, Artifactory)
- 1+ years experience working with Postgres SQL/Snowflake
- Hands on experience with AWS services such as EC2, RDS, IAM, ELB, Lambda, SNS, SQS, S3, and nginx
- Experience setting up server instances with AWS, Chef, and Ansible
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong experience in creating container based microservice / distributed solutions either in the cloud on on-premises
- High-level understanding of common authentication patterns and flow including single sign-on and OAuth
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience with solving problems and delivering high quality results in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Swagger and similar frameworks
- Familiarity with Java, Python, Groovy programming
- Experience designing, developing, and implementing ETL pipelines with big data solutions
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.