This is the primary technical leadership role within Walgreens IT and is accountable for defining, leading and communicating the IT architecture strategy, plan and operational guidelines that support the organization’s business strategies. This role drives best practices and leads the creation and evolution of a technology roadmap that defines current technical architectures, and foresees future evolution of the organizational architecture that meets business needs and provides the most efficient IT environment possible.
This role requires a highly technical individual with a broad range of technical skills from infrastructure to applications and a leadership capability maintain export, enterprise/store technology systems. This individual will have experience in architecture and/or complex development.
Outcomes directed by this role have a significant impact on the organization's short- and long-term results, specific customers and/or partners and decisions made have a significant impact on the organization.
- Reports to the VP of Global Enterprise Architecture as a part of the CTO's organization and serves on the CIO of Walgreens staff to effectively manage IT services and improve costs, as well as, performance and end-user satisfaction. Performs as an idea generator, working with others as a thought leader and subject- matter expert to help brainstorm new processes and solutions. Shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise. Develops and oversees the implementation of processes, and policies that have significant impact upon the organization.
- Provides strategic and tactical technology direction and management of IT resources to ensure the appropriate balance between tactical and strategic demand. Leads the creation and evolution of a technology roadmap that defines current technical architectures, future architectures, and the evolution for transition for all projects. Develops and communicates strategies and roadmaps to document/explain how the current and future needs of the organization will be met in an efficient, sustainable, agile, and adaptable manner.
- Oversees the design of complex enterprise solutions delivering technical strategies and full life-cycle implementations in support of business objectives. Serves as a subject matter expert for technology related issues, including architectures, platforms methods and tools. Maintains a comprehensive understanding of Walgreen Co. goals and objectives in order to align technology initiatives with business initiatives. Utilizes emerging technologies to improve profitability of the organization in the most cost-effective manner.
- Leads strategic technological planning to support the division’s goals by prioritizing technology initiatives and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future technologies. Coordinates the development of a technical architecture that meets the organization/divisional business needs and provides the most efficient and secure IT environment possible.
- Implements and manages IT continuous improvement programs and provides in-depth technical expertise for both tactical and operational initiatives.
- Operates across organizational and computing "silos" to drive common approaches and to expose information assets and processes across the enterprise. Collaborates with leadership and subject matter experts to build a holistic view of the organization's strategy, processes, information, and information technology assets.
- Oversees and ensure the incorporation of best practices for implementing security measures to protect data when developing and implementing architectural designs with emphasis at the network and application layers.
- Sets financial, operational and quality objectives for the unit and develops master operational plans. Plans, develops and manages departmental expense and capital budgets.
- Partners with IT Leadership and serves as a key contributor to the IT Governance and Leadership Committee.
- Develops and mentors staff through on-boarding, open communication, training and development opportunities and performance management processes; builds and maintains employee morale and motivation; ensures the team is appropriately staffed with required competencies; fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 10 years of IT experience OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 13 years of IT experience.
- Experience utilizing a broad range of technical skills, from infrastructure to applications.
- Experience leading architecture and/or complex technology systems development initiatives.
- Experience maintaining export, enterprise/store technology systems and creating strategic roadmaps.
- Experience leading technology teams and setting technology direction.
- Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Experience establishing & maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, in the business community & with vendors.
- Experience managing and leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience interacting at the executive level.
- Experience with Cloud technologies.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies within IT and how to advance business success via technology.
- At least 5 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- At least 10 years of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work
- Willing to travel up to 20% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Master’s Degree or MBA
- Experience with business drivers and technology and how the technology compliments organizational goals.