Senior Engineer, Backend (Drivers League) at SpotHero (Chicago, IL)
SpotHero is looking for Senior Backend Engineers to join the Drivers League - we build products for all of SpotHero’s Drivers!
The Drivers League at SpotHero is responsible for all aspects of the driver's experience. This league is responsible for building Heroic experiences on both the web (desktop and mobile) and native mobile apps (Android & iOS). We don’t stop there, we also strive to create a painless experience while parking at garages. This League cares about quality and SpotHero’s value of #GiveDriversTheRightOfWay, which means to us that we take the Hero in our name seriously, and we go the extra mile to make sure our drivers have an experience we're proud of.
You will have over five years of engineering experience, worked for a few companies as a software engineer, and are on your way to becoming an Expert or a Polymath in Software Engineering in Python/Django.
You have strong coding skills - you can take on medium to large features with little to no direction from others. You are starting to understand how system design/architecture play into the larger picture of your software craft. You have multiple examples of successful projects that you have worked on and a couple of failed projects that taught what to look out for in future projects.
You will collaborate with management on vision setting, technology direction, architecture, and best practices.
The Senior Engineer will contribute to the codebase following set standards and successfully completing stories and have the ability to provide support for any part of their owned codebase; also able to understand the codebase with minimal direction from others. You will collaborate with Engineering and Product Management to provide reasonable point estimates and deliver dates for the work you are committing to. You will collaborate with Agile Facilitators to help define the Definition of Ready / Done, support the team’s norms, and be an active member at squad ceremonies.
You will work with the Product Management team to ensure requirements are defined correctly. You will be an educator via pull-requests who can help peers understand better or different software patterns. Your greatest work will be through delivering high-quality software and products that make our Drivers’ experience magical.
What will you do:
- Identify, design, develop, test, and release high-quality functionality as efficiently as possible.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the Engineering team to deliver quality products with a focus on speed, security, and analytics.
- You consistently write informative documentation on work that you're team will do, is currently doing, or has completed, and are proactive in soliciting feedback to ensure that it is helpful for anyone in product and engineering.
- You present your work at Sprint Reviews and Engineering Demos
- You proactively seek areas that can be improved, document tickets and follow through on socializing and executing those improvements
- You deliver features/quality code and you are one of our top contributors
- You are capable of conveying information and breaking it down to understandable, non-technical terms but it’s not second nature for you, yet.
- You are able to break down a complex problem into manageable chunks.
- You assist the Product and Engineering Managers in estimating all of the cards of your discipline at Sprint Planning and Grooming meetings
- You approach all engineering work with a security mindset.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- 5+ years experience as an engineer across a few different environments.
- You are comfortable following an architecture presented to you.
- Knowledgeable of object-oriented and/or functional programming patterns and paradigms.
- Production Experience and developing skills with in Python/Django/Postgres.
- Ability to work in most areas of the tech stack, including infrastructure through the application layer to client libraries.
- Ability to provide support for any pieces of codebase owned and also understand the codebase with minimal direction from peers or more senior engineers.
- Proven ability to work on implementation independently.
- Developing experience working with relational databases like Postgres and mySQL.
- Knowledge of various API paradigms such as REST and RPC/gRPC and can implement them within the services you are developing on.
Don't check all of the boxes? Please still apply! We love getting to know others and how we can help you grow at SpotHero.
Technology we use:
Our Android Stack is: Kotlin and XML (standard for Android apps) using MVI architecture (still working on refactoring old views), our database layer is built in Realm. Bitrise for CI/CD. We also make heavy use of Dagger, RxJava, Espresso (testing). Network stack uses Retrofit.
Our iOS Stack is: Swift using MVC architecture, CoreData for Local Storage, XCUI for UI Testing, XCTest for Unit testing, SPM for Package Management, Fastlane for app automation and build scripts, Bitrise for CI/CD, and Sentry for crash reporting.
Our Back End Stack is: Monolith using Java/Django/Python/PostgreSQL. We are moving our Monolith to a Modular Monolith, using Domain Driven Design. When relevant we extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and GoLang. We also use Docker, deploy our apps via Kubernetes. We use Kafka for asynchronous-, and gRPC for synchronous service-to-service communication.
Our Front End Stack is: Our Front End stack is React/Redux, Sass, Jest/React Testing Library/Cypress, and Webpack. We maintain a private npm repository with shareable UI components, utility functions, Babel/ESLint/Prettier configurations, and custom tasks
Our Data Stack is: Our Monolith Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Redshift as our data warehouse and S3 as our data lake. The data lake is queried using Presto. We use Airflow and Spark for ETL, as well as do some stream processing (Kafka Streams and Spark at the moment). Our Model pipeline uses scikit-learn, pandas. Our analysts utilize Looker as our Business Intelligence tool. And we use Quicksight for Dashboard on our external Data Products
Our Dev Tools Stack is: AWS+Kubernetes for hosting. Terraform + Helm Charts for IaaS/Deployment. ConcourseCI for CI/CD. Prometheus/Alertmanager/VictorOps for team alerting. We’re starting to work on multi-region available services.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits –
- In the US we cover up to 95% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, company sponsored Life Insurance, and generous parental leave.
- In Canada we offer Medical (prescription drug and paramedical coverage), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD and LTD.
- Flexible PTO policy and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Annual parking stipend – we help people park!
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- Our award-winning culture has received recognition from Built In’s 2021 Moxie Awards, as a 2021 Best Places to Work in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
At SpotHero, we Respect Fellow Drivers by providing an inclusive interview experience for everyone, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process. Please let our team know of your need when you apply or as you begin interviewing with our team.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.