Senior IBM i Systems Engineer ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of information systems that support core organizational functions and clients. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all operating systems assigned. The Senior Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues to maximize the benefit of IT systems while mentoring team members with client support.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the remediation of server incidents including timely responses, thorough analysis, and all proper follow up actions
- Responsible for responding to service restoration calls.
- Responsible for the overseeing of incident queues to ensure service level service levels are met
- Responsible for the overseeing of request queues and taking ownership of completing the requested work detail .
- Responsible for reducing repeating incidents by performing deep analyses of tickets, adjusting thresholds, and/or performing root cause analysis to prevent future occurrences.
- Responsible for technical infrastructure projects
- Collaborates with various groups to select appropriate design, process and tests and ensures the compatibility of system components.
- Responds to client/stakeholder problems in a timely manner, prioritizing multiple issues based on the severity of the case. Updates tickets with clear, concise and detailed documentation, including all communications regarding work, emails, phone calls and service attempts.
- Determines need for and responsible for installing Operating Systems patches including pre and post level reporting.
- Follows documented procedures for installing, maintaining and administering server hardware and software environments.
- Possess an understanding of server hardware components.
- Possess an understanding of network design, components and computer systems interactions
- Bachelor’s degree required and/or equivalent work experience.
- IBM i, iSeries, AS/400 System Administration (10+ years’ experience)
- i/OS support for versions V4R5 to Current Release
- Hardware Management Console (HMC) configuration and support
- IBM Power Systems Hardware configuration and support
- IBM Server firmware support
- Virtual I/O Server (VIOS) configuration and support
- Internal/External (SAN) DASD general understanding and support
- SAN replication methods (IBM FSFC) configuration and support
- Virtual Tape Library (VTL) solution (Dell/EMC) configuration and support
- BRMS (in-depth knowledge) configuration and support
- Data replication (PowerHA, MIMIX, iTera, DataMirror, QEDD, others) configuration and support
- MQ Series configuration and support
- Troubleshooting skills, analytical skills, experience in high availability/real time environment
- Ability to coordinate actions through others and willing to adapt to change
- Effective Communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work in a teaming environment, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Ability to coach others, ensure processes and procedures are up to date and followed, facilitate cross training among different teams, manage scheduling, facilitate Major Incident calls with support teams and client representative
- Dynamic schedules - MUST BE ABLE TO WORK NIGHTS/WEEKENDS (on-call rotation)
- Familiarity with the following tools: Service Manager, CASD Service Desk or ServiceNOW Configuration Management Database, Inventory asset management, HP Service Desk, BMC for iSeries, Halcyon and Unicenter
- CL coding (develop and support)
- SQL & DB performance monitoring & tuning - utilizing tools like DBMON & iDoctor
- RPG Application development coding – General Understanding