Senior Engineer II, DevTools at SpotHero
SpotHero is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer who will automate the engineering operations of and provide tier-2 operational support to our product engineering teams. You will partner with your engineering manager to ensure requirements are defined correctly and collaborate with other engineers across the organization to define solutions, ensure project deadlines are successfully met and effectively communicate with product and engineering team members and internal stakeholders. We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity and constant learning.
Who we are: SpotHero is a $118MM-raised Series D company based in Chicago, US whose mobile & web platforms allows users to quickly and easily find off-street parking across North America.
Ranked at #15 for a Consumer Marketplace (The a16z Marketplace 100) SpotHero is a fast-growing market leader disrupting the mobility space. Drivers across North America use the SpotHero mobile app, website, and connected car integrations to reserve convenient, affordable parking. Parking companies (Operators) rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business through our Business Intelligence Tools. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
In 2019 we:
- Parked our 30 millionth car
- We hired 97 people, 40 in Engineering alone
- Added more than 1,300 new parking facilities, exceeding 7,000 facilities across North America
- Added 200 new airport parking facilities serving 61 airports, and launched new partnerships with The Parking Spot, Toronto Pearson International Airport, and The South Terminal at Austin Bergstrom International Airport
- Added 300+ new events and venue partners, including the United Center, home of the Chicago Bulls and Chicago Blackhawks; PPG Paints Arena, home of the Pittsburgh Penguins; Fiserv Forum, home of the Milwaukee Bucks; and the American Airlines Arena, home of the Miami Heat
Our Stack is: Monolith using Django/Python, the Frontend is React. We are starting to extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and Go. Our Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Docker, Kubernetes and Kafka.
What kind of person are you?
- Curious and a hungry learner
- A Problem Solver
- Ability to collaborate
- You own your work
What you will be doing:
- Developing software and scripts in Bash, Python, or Go using development best practices such as DRY, KISS, and TDD.
- Participate in resolving production incidents by providing Tier-2 support to our product engineering teams and troubleshoot issues in a distributed system.
- Automate the provisioning of new infrastructure for new applications or systems and when scaling to meet system demand.
- Build internal tooling and libraries that helps other engineering teams build new business value faster and better
- Support business-critical operations tooling to help our team build, deploy and monitor their applications in a complex production environment
- Make broad changes across multiple code bases efficiently and without disruption to other teams to implement new cross-cutting concerns
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning
- You work well in complex environments by learning new programming languages, engineering concepts and whatever else helps you get your job done well.
- Some understanding of “infrastructure as code,” “cattle vs. pets,” immutable architecture or Cloud-Native methodologies
- Experience with small teams that move fast -- all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction
- You have at least 7 years of hands on experience as an Engineer across multiple environments.
- You can write complex Bash scripts. You can quickly learn Python and/or Go.
- You are familiar with container platforms and orchestration tools such as Kubernetes, Mesos, or Docker Swarm
- You are an expert in one of the three major cloud providers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Microsoft Azure. Preferably AWS since we use that today.
Nice to haves are:
- Kubernetes and/or Mesos experience
- Kafka, Kinesis, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ experience
- Cassandra, Elastic, Redis and/or Couchbase experience
- Postgres, MySql and/or Oracle experience
- Open source contributions to a few major projects
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, 401k retirement savings plan + matching, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized by Time Magazine as one of the Top 50 Most Genius Companies of 2018, ranked on Built In Chicago’s 100 Best Places To Work In Chicago in 2020 & 50 Companies With The Best Benefits In Chicago In 2020 , plus our Diversity & Inclusion initiatives!
- This position is ineligible for visa sponsorship. To be considered for this role, you must be legally authorized to work in the US and not require sponsorship for employment now or in the future.
- We are considering applications for this position from candidates not located in Chicago. However, you must be able and willing to travel to Chicago on a quarterly basis.