Senior Engineer, Internal App Platform
SpotHero is seeking a Senior Engineer be part of the team building our new parking platform. The team will own the solution to help us scale out so we can build a future where the SpotHero platform surfaces real time parking inventory across the United States for millions of customers.
Who we are: SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design, implementation, and operation of our new centralized identity and single sign-on service that our other teams leverage to guarantee our customer’s data isn’t exposed.
- Make sure we all get paid! (By designing, building, and operating our credit card processing capabilities).
- Build out cross-cutting serverless API policies to help us guarantee availability, performance, and security for all of our customers.
- Build internal tooling and libraries that helps other engineering teams build new business value faster and better.
- Performance testing and engineering to ensure that our systems always scale to meet our needs.
- Work with some of the biggest and best technology companies to form strategic partnerships.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- At least one project that demonstrates prowess in designing, implementing, and operating large scale, high throughput, low latency distributed systems.
- You can go up and down the stack from deep in the infrastructure layer to all the way up to the client libraries.
- Experience with small teams that move fast -- all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- You have at least 7 years of hands on experience as an engineer across multiple environments on complex distributed polyglot systems using Java, Scala, Clojure, Go, and/or C++.
- Experience working with or building an identity service such as Active Directory, LDAP, Auth0, AWS Cognito, etc.
- Experience building publicly accessible HTTP-based APIs, developer programs, and/or evangelization.
Nice to Haves:
- Kubernetes and/or Mesos experience.
- Kafka, Spark, and/or Flink experience.
- Cassandra, Elastic, Redis, and/or Couchbase experience.
- Postgres, MySql, and/or Oracle experience.
- AWS, GCP, and/or Azure experience.
- Open source contributions to a few major projects.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply:
- Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.
- We are considering applications for this position from candidates not located in Chicago. However, you must be able and willing to travel to Chicago on a quarterly basis.