Trala is a technology powered music education company. Our mission is to make world-class music education accessible to every single person on Earth. Right now, private music lessons are available only to the rich and urban. Imagine instead a world where all 4 billion people who will pick up an instrument in the next 20 years could get world-class lessons. Imagine how much more music and joy there would be in the world. That is the future we’re obsessed with realizing.
To that end, we’re building the world’s first tech-forward music school. Students take weekly lessons with our teachers and practice daily using our mobile applications. Our first app, Trala: Learn Violin, uses signal processing to listen to students play their real violins and give instant feedback on every mistake. This is crazy-hard and requires us to solve novel problems in signal processing, app design, user psychology, and education theory.
Our students are ages 7 to 70 and live in rural Montana, Syria, tiny Pacific islands, Hong Kong, and our hometown of Chicago. They’re not businesses or governments, they’re people. They’ve dreamt of learning violin for years and we’re fulfilling those dreams. They say things like this to us:
“I had never progressed this far no matter what I did. I just want to say thank you. You made my dream come true”
“I’ve been using Trala for just under three months now and can honestly say it’s changed my life.”
“Wow! Even though I had never touched a violin in my entire life, this app helped me to build a strong foundation for playing the violin in just a day. And right from day 2, I even started composing my own notes and played them.”
About This Role
Senior Engineer for iOS & Mac. Our native Apple-platform projects include:
- The Trala app, available on the App Store for iPhone & iPad. Built on Swift & UIKit, it is used by thousands of students all over the world to practice and learn music.
- A large (and growing) set of Mac-native, SwiftUI-based tools for Trala’s world-class team of music educators to publish video, sheet music, and other educational content for use in the App Store app.
You will work with our product team to create beautiful and intuitive user interfaces. You will dive into audio-processing code and solve low-level performance issues. You will take initiative and expand test coverage in critical areas. You will ensure a high-quality, bug-free experience from first app launch to musical mastery. In short, you will do whatever it takes to delight and educate our students.
- 4+ years’ experience building native iOS apps. You’ve either been a senior developer or are ready to take that leap.
- Deep expertise in building native visual content with Swift and UIKit.
- Strong opinions on the right way to build software. We’ll expect to hear them from day 1.
- Passion for continuous learning. Great engineers aren’t born. They’re made.
- Experience with SwiftUI, AVFoundation, music theory, and AWS are pluses but not required.
In light of COVID-19, we’re currently a fully remote team but we plan on returning to our offices once it is safe to do so. At that point, you may come into the office as often or as rarely as you like. Most of us are in Chicago but we are remote friendly.
- You’ll make an immediate impact on the team with a high degree of creative freedom.
- Trala is funded by amazing people like the LinkedIn, Duolingo, and Figma CEOs. These folks are leaders in design and are our mentors. They will be your mentors too.
- Trala deeply impacts peoples’ lives all across the world. These are dreams you’ll be fulfilling. Not “leveraged data monetization” or whatever value Facebook claims to provide these days.
- Trala prioritizes diversity, inclusion, and righting economic and social wrongs. We strive to make our corner of the world a better place.
- You’ll be paid well, have free medical/dental/vision, and work with people who love their jobs.
- Trala supports its team in their own personal education. We have unique benefits such as reimbursing up to $1000 a year for music lessons.