Senior Engineering Manager-Enterprise Tools Management at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
This role can be based out of our Riverwoods, IL or downtown Chicago office.
The Business Technology Infrastructure Services Team is looking for a Senior Engineering Manager of the Enterprise Service Management Tools Chapter. This leader would be responsible for the technical development of engineering staff within the ESM practice and supporting technologies (eg. ServiceNow, xMatters, BigFix, etc). The role is a hands-on, servant leader and subject matter expert, accountable for effectively skilling, tooling and allocating Chapter members to best support the needs of Product and Value Stream Engineering teams, along with a disciplined approach to professional development of Chapter engineers. This role coaches the team to continuously improve their process and practices, enforce appropriate quality and user experiences, drive out waste and toil, and to foster a culture of continuous innovation and learning. The role also will effectively collaborate and negotiate with Product teams internal and external to IS on the delivery of new capabilities. Span of control is approximately 18-22 Chapter engineers.
- Define how technical work should be done, selecting appropriate tools, defining technology, quality, experience and implementation standards and practices within own technical domain
- Develop own technical skills to attain Subject Matter Expertise in at least one technical implementation within own technical domain
- Ensure consistency of technical execution and knowledge across Products, sharing common practices and challenges within the Chapter
- Engineer solutions for special projects as needed
- Internal Organization and Chapter Leadership
- Develop own Chapter into a highly technically competent, consistent, thoughtful and customer-centric team of technology experts
- Work with Product Owners and Value Stream Engineering leaders to efficiently and effectively allocate chapter resources to meet Product needs
- Foster a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the Chapter
- Establish and track to appropriate OKRs to ensure outcomes are met
- Building a Culture of Talent and Innovation
- Instill a sense of purpose, curiosity and continuous learning with each and every Chapter member, motivating all to achieve their best
- Own the career and performance management process for the chapter, ensuring the collective’s technical competency continues to consistently evolve to effectively support PO and VSA needs
- Attract, onboard and develop/retrain talent to achieve the strongest Chapter possible
- Utilize PO and VSA feedback and performance/satisfaction metrics to identify areas of continuous improvement within the Chapter
- Engage with internal and external communities of practice to share experiences, contribute knowledge, learn and advocate for the Discover Technology brand
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- 4+ years of experience in Engineering People Leadership and Development or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology
- Demonstrated critical thinking and continuous learning skills
- Demonstrated experience applying ESM methodologies and tools to enterprise applications and systems across on-prem and public cloud environments.
- Broad knowledge of ESM principles and tools (ideally ServiceNow, xMatters, BigFix, etc), with experience building and managing a practice for supporting multiple infrastructure platforms.
- Execution Focused, Negotiation/Problem Solving Skills
- Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, interpersonal skills, analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.