Senior Engineering Manager - Platform
Braintree empowers merchants globally to take payments online, safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can't tell we’re there.
Are you looking to tackle world-scale problems, on diverse teams where your unique point of view is valued and included? Does a workplace where you are expected to care a lot about your work, ask why when you don't understand, and solve problems together with your colleagues interest you? At Braintree, bring your skills and a never give up focus on your customer, and we'll provide the support for you to do the best work of your life.
Check us out: GitHub | Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | The Muse | Glassdoor
We are team based...
We work in an open team room; no cubicles or private offices. Communication is core to our process, and we won't be hindered by walls. Day to day we work directly with coworkers to triage, design, and solve the business's technical challenges. You will find the key to our strong team is transparency and responsibility.
We are agile...
For us, the most significant part of being Agile is doing what works best for the team. Through short sprints and daily standups, we assess and adapt to new information along the way as we build. We pause for retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvement.
As the Sr. Mgr of Engineering for Platform Apps, you will set a big-picture vision and evolve how Braintree offers Database as a Service, Kafka as a Service, and sustains development in the main Rails codebase. You will bring your rare blend of business and technical savvy to lead the maturing of our platform service offerings and create new cutting edge services for our product engineering teams. You will work with our product engineering teams to drive key strategic initiatives within TeamDB, Team Scale/Components, and Team Gateway Sustain, building platform products to enable the growth of product engineering’s apps and services.
Had you been with us in the last month, you would have...
- Frequently engaged with Product Engineering teams to understand their needs and how best to empower them to work effectively
- Refined the roadmap for multiple components based on market understanding, partner guidance, and key developers
- Made tough priority calls and trade-offs balancing available time, talent, and critical business needs
- Led your Engineering Managers to ensure teams have the context they need to successfully build the improvements and innovations on the roadmap to advance towards established goals
- Kept your finger on the pulse of the organization's initiatives through regular check-ins
- Reviewed and updated end-to-end plans for major initiatives that ensure measurability, ongoing sustainability, and high-quality production operations
- Written plans, specifications and documentation that are clear, concise, and meaningful to your teams and customers
- Used your technical and communication acumen to evangelize Postgres and Kafka as architectural foundations across all levels of the company
- Articulated business KPIs and driven learning and accountability using data in support of key decisions
- Researched and analyzed progress towards goals to enable fast, efficient deployment of well-tested code to production
- Read a Slack message from a satisfied engineer about a feature that your team shipped
- Learned something new about Postgress, AWS RDS, AWS Aurora, Kafka, Kubernetes, RAILS, or Ruby
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge
- Participation in the technology community: we help cover travel and attendance costs for conferences, and we offer opportunities and tools for speaking.
- Check out our Careers page for more company perks.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.