Senior Engineering Manager at Root
The Role & Responsibilities
- Lead multiple engineering teams in having a transformative impact, redefining an industry that has underutilized technology and been stagnant for far too long.
- Fluidly lead the transitions necessary to grow the engineering organization from 12 to 30+ engineers over the next 24 months.
- Deliver working software to realize the tremendous advantage that Root has being an insurance carrier built on modern technology.
- Maintain the momentum of a high-performing team that has excelled in building the entirety of a software platform necessary to run an auto insurance carrier.
- Coach and grow new engineering leadership, especially cultivating new management talent within your scope
- Continue to attract talent of the caliber that will make Root nearly unrivaled in its achievements relative to its team size.
- Cultivate skills and manage performance, guiding your engineering organization in career progression, promotions, performance improvement, and hiring practices.
- Collaborate fluidly with internal peers (Product, Design, Data Science, and more) on applying engineering expertise to deliver on organizational objectives.
- Use your judgement and technical ability to follow problems wherever they lead as you work across departments to solve ambiguous, gnarly problems.
- Professionally represent Root in conversations with clients and vendors as necessary.
Preferred Professional Qualifications
- Proven ability and success running and scaling a team of developers, attracting outstanding talent, and creating a culture of innovation and technical excellence.
- 5+ years of engineering leadership experience in a high-growth company, reliably executing on product roadmaps.
- Ability to recruit and motivate top engineering talent. Can effectively manage teams ranging in size from 10 to 45 engineers.
- Demonstrated technical leadership with significant exposure to growing organizations, enabling process, and growing software engineering teams (career mentoring, retention, advancement).
- Familiarity with building large-scale products powered by backend API platforms and client-server architectures.
- Strong technical knowledge, with the ability to understand critical path challenges and product delivery implications.
- Experience with modern technology and the latest open source distributed systems and architecture knowledge is ideal.
- Skilled at implementing and optimizing software engineering and product development methodologies and processes.
- Excellent communicator and past success working cross-functionally in partnerships with adjacent business functions in an evolving company.
- Experience with process management and implementation.
- Eloquent and savvy leader who can find optimal execution for goals and objectives held by all stakeholders: founders, investors, and employees.
- Highly effective at creating collaborative relationships across an entire organization.
- Comfortable in both scrappy and entrepreneurial environments as well as more sophisticated and later stage organizations.
- A strategic thinker, with a vision that far transcends what is visible today.
- Inventive, understanding when to pursue creative solutions to problems while being thoughtful of their trade-offs
- An entrepreneur who sees ambiguity as opportunity, and obstacles as chances to build.
- High energy and action-oriented with a history of getting things done in complex environments.
- Integrity beyond reproach and the ethical soundness of a true leader.
- Superior analytical skills and attention to detail with good business judgment and exceptional maturity, diplomacy, and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Results orientation with a strong work ethic. Must be tenacious, with the emotional intelligence to know when to push harder and when to look for alternative approaches.