Senior Front End Software Developer I at SMS Assist
SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Software Developer supports the Product and Technology Department by managing day to day activities within the organization's software development function. The Software Developer reports to senior team members and is part of an agile development team building and working on enterprise-grade software. Software Developer is involved in all areas of development from design to development to testing.
- Planning and executing the implementation of ReactJS web apps, for internal and external users
- Write HTML, CSS code and work collaboratively with other engineers, product managers, executives, and designers to bring concepts to life
- Promote best practice development habits and highest product quality standards through regular code reviews and open team communication
- Participate in regular bi-weekly development sprints and be prepared to use continuous improvement to regularly help shape our development process. Ability to work in an Agile coding experience, working with a small team that is in charge of making a big impact fast
- Mentor junior teammates to provide guidance and coaching on code implementation/design review
- Keep up to date on the newest technological innovations in the field and be ready to apply relevant innovations.
- Performs ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
- Verbal Communication – Advanced
- Written Communication – Advanced
- Teamwork – Advanced
- Relationships – Advanced
- Negotiation – Advanced
- Learning Agility – Advanced
- Problem Solving – Advanced
- Process Orientation – Advanced
- Prioritization – Advanced
Role Specific Skills
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming concepts
- Familiarity with version control concepts, experience and comfort working with Git Flow
- Experience interfacing with REST APIs and/or API Gateways
- Strong interest in UI/UX and design
- Knowledge of agile development methodologies preferred
- Knowledge of unit testing theory preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or with equivalent professional experience
- 5+ years of experience in relevant field