Reverb is a leading online marketplace for buying and selling new, used, and vintage musical instruments. Since launching in 2013, Reverb has grown into a vibrant community of buyers and sellers all over the world. By focusing on inspiring content, price transparency, musician-focused eCommerce tools, a music-savvy customer service team, and more, Reverb has created an online destination where the global music community can connect over the perfect piece of music gear.
We build primarily in Ruby/Rails, Python, Go and React, but we value identifying the right language/framework for the job. We believe in fast feedback cycles, clean architecture, continuous deployment and validating our ideas in production as soon as we can.
Everyone at Reverb takes initiative, helps set their own priorities, and comes up with ways to grow the business. Our software engineers take pride in crafting great software but take even more pride in product ownership, taking ideas from concept to release and beyond.
Here are the qualities we look for in our potential hires:
Product ownership – we are not just software engineers and designers. At Reverb, you’ll be expected to track the performance of features you release, talk to stakeholders, fix bugs, and understand your impact on the business.
Self-motivation - taking the initiative to get things done by finding ways around potential roadblocks and proactively working with other team members to find right-sized solutions.
Leadership - you have a framework of how you want to quickly and safely ship software, are ready to implement that vision, and can instill that vision in others.
- Building the Reverb core Rails app and scaling it to millions of users and a growing engineering team.
- Developing and maintaining public-facing and internal APIs using gRPC, Protobufs, and Graphql
- Taking a pragmatic approach to product development through understanding and making well-reasoned technical decisions and tradeoffs.
- Participating in pairing sessions, code reviews, and researching things independently.
- Elevating your direct team members and other developers through continuous mentorship.
- Being more than an engineer - a product owner who wants to interact with customers, break down large problems, and follow up on the performance of your features to know how they impact customers directly.
- 5+ years of professional experience with web technologies and applicable RDBMSes. ( We use Ruby on Rails and Postgres ).
- Deep expertise of your chosen languages and frameworks, but curiosity and ability to ramp up on new technologies quickly when called for.
- Experience with unit testing (whether TDD, BDD, or spike it first and test it later) and a desire to push everyone to do better.
- Great communication skills and the desire to collaborate across departments and with customers.
- Experience with ElasticSearch, Redis, Docker - huge pluses.
What you'll get:
To complement our competitive compensation and equity plans, we offer:
- No-bureaucracy environment where ownership and initiative are valued.
- Health insurance and a healthy work environment.
- 401k with company match.
- Paid parental leave.
- Flexible vacation and sick days.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Bi-monthly lunches.
- A MacBook, monitor, keyboard, mouse of your choice and standing desk.
This is a local position in Chicago, please no remote workers or recruiters.