Senior Infrastructure Engineer
What We Do:
At Uptake, our purpose-built products ingest and analyze sensor and enterprise data, transforming it into actionable insights and immediate outcomes. Together with our customers across a variety of industries, we drive real business value and set new standards for productive, secure, safe and reliable operations. We are based in Chicago, and deeply involved with our community.
What You'll Do:
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer is responsible for guiding the organization in making the best possible decisions based upon knowledge, research, security and innovation. You will be asked to push the boundaries of best practices and the status quo when it comes to designing and implementing networks. You will be biased towards well implemented over patch jobs, business need over technical ideal, supportable over the coolest, and action over inaction. You are far enough in your career that you can be trusted to make good decisions, with little more than a list of priorities and a desired outcome.
- Implement and manage solutions and infrastructure at the Uptake Offices and Data Centers
- Organize and maintain cloud and virtualized server environment.
- Have ideas and vision for directions the team can pursue and implement.
- Improve the environment iteratively, constantly looking for ways to make Uptake better.
- University/College Degree preferred.
- 9+ years of experience in an Infrastructure position.
- Has led data center and corporate builds and the build out of their connections.
- Understands and has been hands on with dynamic networking and its associated protocols such as BGP, OSPF
- 9+ years of technical experience implementing one or more infrastructure components: server. infrastructure, virtualization technologies, storage and backup solutions and/or network hardware.
- Design and Implementation of virtualization environments.
- Experience in converged infrastructure and Wi-Fi.
- Scripting language skill of some type e.g Perl, Bash, Python, ansible.
- Understanding of Cloud technologies.
- A history of pursuing supportable, simplest answer solutions overs Macgyver fixes.
- Solid understanding of network architectures and protocols, IT security, Unix and Windows operating systems, enterprise storage and/or monitoring and capacity trending.
- Understanding of the interplay of various technology components: storage & systems, systems & application and systems & databases.
- Solid troubleshooting skills.
- Be bad-ass in what you do.
- Active member of the information security community.
- Interesting interests.
Why Work Here
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We’re flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We’re also proud to be one of Chicago’s best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.