We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
SO WHAT’S THIS JOB ABOUT?
The Apollo team’s mission is to build and support the next generation of tools and frameworks to author, develop, present, and drive responsive HTML5 experiences called “Interactive Conversations.” Our primary products are Talentshow, an internal authoring tool used to create HTML5 conversations using React Redux, and Talentshow Runtime, a runtime engine to process Talentshow data and determine the flow of the conversation using React-Redux. Talentshow was originally built to support ALEX, and now we’re getting it ready to support a suite of exciting new products. We’re working hard to expand the scope of what Apollo’s products can do, so we’re looking for some great engineers to join and help us keep forging ahead.
To be successful in this role you must be the kind of software engineer who can produce strong front end code - a person who is looking to play with some cool technology and build some great products. Whether you got your start with a Computer Science degree, attending a boot camp, or by writing code on the side, you know what it is to write code and you love doing it.
There's a great deal of collaboration with a diverse team (which often leads to having fun) at Jellyvision. You'll be working on a bunch of different (but related) projects at any given time. Development is a team effort at Jellyvision, and all our development teams use Scrum or Kanban, which means every day involves working with product owners, Scrum Masters, QA, SREs, and the users we have right here in the building.
You’ll be talking to a lot of people without a strong technical background. You have experience communicating your ideas to and collaborating with non-engineers.
On a day-to-day basis, you'll be working on our products and on the tools that help the rest of the company build those products. You'll add features, fix bugs (what, bugs?! never!), test the stuff you built, and be involved in designing the next features and tools coming down the line.
WHAT KIND OF TECHNICAL SKILLS SHOULD I HAVE? YOU KNOW, LANGUAGES AND SUCH…?
- HTML & CSS: Anyone who's done some web development will have written HTML and CSS, so bonus points if you're familiar with a templating language like Mustache or Dust or a CSS preprocessor like Less or Sass.
- Testing: You should be the kind of person who tests their code as a part of writing it, whether that's TDD-style or writing them after the fact. You should know your way around a testing suite or two.
- Source Control: Experience developing software with Git or some other kind of source control will benefit you greatly. If you've been using SVN or Mercurial and you're ready for something new, we're open to that. Most of your teammates will be happy to show you the ropes.
ANYTHING ELSE? We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
- Your resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQ page!
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!