Senior Manager, Chapter Engineering at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Responsible for the technical development of engineering staff within a technical domain. A hands-on Servant Leader and technical Subject Matter Expert, accountable for effectively skilling, tooling and allocating engineering Chapter members to best support the needs of Product and Value Stream Engineering teams, along with a disciplined approach to professional development of Chapter members. Coaches the team to continuously improve their process and practices, enforce appropriate quality and user experiences, drive out waste and toil, and to foster a culture of continuous innovation and learning. Effectively collaborates and negotiates with Product teams internal and external to IS. Span of control is approx. 18-22 Chapter members
Defines how technical work should be done, selecting appropriate tools, defining technology, quality, experience and implementation standards and practices within own technical domain. Develops own technical skills to attain Subject Matter Expertise in at least one technical implementation within own technical domain. Ensures consistency of technical execution and knowledge, sharing common practices and challenges within the Chapter. Engineer solutions for special projects as needed.
Develops own Chapter into a highly technically competent, consistent, thoughtful and customer-centric team of technology experts. Works with Product Owners and Value Stream Engineering leaders to efficiently and effectively allocate chapter resources to meet Product needs. Fosters a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the Chapter. Establishes and tracks to appropriate OKRs to ensure outcomes are met.
Instills a sense of purpose, curiosity and continuous learning with each and every Chapter member, motivating all to achieve their best. Owns the career and performance management process for the chapter, ensuring the collective’s technical competency continues to consistently evolve to effectively support Product Owner and Value Stream needs. Attracts, onboards and develops/retrains talent to achieve the strongest Chapter possible. Utilizes PO and VS feedback and performance/satisfaction metrics to identify areas of continuous improvement within team. Engages with internal and external communities of practice to share experiences, contribute knowledge, learn and advocate for the Discover Technology brand. Promotes team innovation and collaboration of ideas across teams.
- Bachelors Degree in Information Technology or related field of study.
- 4+ Years Engineering People Leadership and Development or related.
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Experience in DevOps, Test Driven Development, and DevOps
- Modern web-development frameworks (Angular, React, Foundation, Bootstrap, jQuery)
- Web browser & Cross device compatibility design
- Java, J2EE, APIs, Spring Boot Microservices
- CI/CD with Jenkins or similar, Chef, Git/GitHub, Gradle, Nexus, SonarQube
- Container solutions: Docker, Kubernetes or Openshift
#Remote #BI-Remote #LI-MD1
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.