Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
As a Sr. Manager Chapter Engineering (Application Engineering) you will be responsible for the technical development of software engineering staff, while using your technical expertise to drive vision into action and results. This role is a pivotal leader in our Discover Technology Academy focused on engineering standards and upskilling. If you’re a hands-on Servant Leader and technical Subject Matter Expert, keep reading!
This Senior Manager role plays a critical part in the development of their engineering team (their chapter) and will take the lead on effectively skilling, tooling and allocating engineering members to best support the needs of our collective enterprise product teams and engineers. Investing in the development of the engineering team through coaching and leadership is part of the Discover culture. We celebrate a culture of innovation and learning which grows our technical talent and ultimately serves Discover customers with high quality, reliable products and experiences.
While coaching and development of engineers is this role’s primary responsibility, the Senior Manager will also work with their chapter lead peers to transform and implement engineering standards and upskilling for the enterprise.
This sounds exciting, but what about hand-on work with technology? Keeping your technical skills fresh is as important for engineers as it is for our chapter engineering leaders. Uniquely, chapter engineering leaders have opportunities to solve challenging and complex technical problems in a direct, hands-on way when capacity allows. At Discover, we celebrate our leaders role modeling advanced engineering practices as a way to develop both themselves, and their team members.
If you are an expert in modern engineering practices like TDD, CI/CD, Domain Driven Design, Micro services and Cloud engineering, have a passion for flexing your tech skills in solving complex problems and are skilled at developing engineering talent, apply today!
- Hire, retain and lead high-functioning, diverse group of engineering professionals, establishing clear objectives and key results, developing consistent set of practices and process across the team and driving towards resolution of challenging problems. This includes all performance management aspects of leading the engineers including acquiring and providing 360 feedback and administering reviews.
- Mentor staff of engineers in both technical and soft skills to craft a team of highly technically competent, consistent, thoughtful and customer-centric technology experts. This includes ensuring the group is adhering to principles of engineering excellence within their technical domain, applying consistency of technical execution, sharing common practices and challenges within the Chapter and fostering a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the Chapter.
- Lead and shape the technical vision within their domain and be an essential member of leadership team including acting as a leader in the Discover engineering community affecting and advancing the architecture across the company and ensuring adherence to all regulatory, compliance and audit requirements. This includes defining how technical work should be done, selecting appropriate tools, defining technology, quality, experience and implementation standards and practices within own technical domain.
- Contribute as a senior engineer within a product team designing, developing and maintaining quality technology solutions for a product or set of products including developing own subject matter expertise.
- Work with key stakeholders to efficiently and effectively allocate chapter team members to product teams to meet business and Product area objectives.
- Engage with internal and external communities of practice to share experiences, contribute knowledge, learn and advocate for the Discover Technology brand. Promotes team innovation and collaboration of ideas across teams.
- Bachelors' Degree in Information Technology
- 4 + years experience with Engineering People Leadership and Development or related
Bonus Points/Nice to have
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in software engineering
- Excellent ability to communicate and present to all levels with the organization
- Experience guiding, influencing and teaching engineers
- Agile/Digital transformation experience
- Strong knowledge of DevOps design patterns, processes, tools and best practice
- A solid understanding of GitHub, Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF), Amazon Web Services (AWS), OpenShift (OCP), REST Services, Continuous Integration and deployment (CI/CD), Jenkins, Harness, Nexus, RabbitMQ, Kafka
- Knowledge of infrastructure provisioning (Terraform/Ansible)
- Experience with Java, Spring framework, APIs, Groovy and shell scripting languages
- Proficient in monitoring, alerting, analyzing and troubleshooting large scale distributed systems
- Solid understanding of defining and executing high availability, disaster recovery, resiliency and chaos engineering testing
- Expertise with automation, monitoring and log analysis tools to manage operations
#Remote #BI-Remote #LI-SY1
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.