Senior Manager of Engineering - Morningstar.com
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build and provide our hosted digital advice platform for Retirement plans, 401K’s, etc. (what some call robo-advisors)
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
At Morningstar, helping investors is what brings us together and drives our work. In this role, you will lead the development of Morningstar.com, our flagship product aimed at individual investors and advisors. An ideal candidate is a self-starter who gets technology as an art, understands business goals and creates scalable, flexible technical solutions. The candidate would be fully responsible for delivery and ensuring modern software development practices are being applied with rigor. They would motivate the team and cultivate a culture of high energy and technical excellence. Establishing a good support infrastructure to handle production issues and being responsive to customer problems is essential to the role. Exposure & experience in large-scale system implementation is a big plus. This position is based out of our headquarters in Chicago.
* Act as the software guardian. Own non-functional requirements, architectural direction, quality of the code and addressing technical debt.
* Designs for the big-picture: product roadmap over next quarter and years
* Leads end-to-end design
* Understand our business, partner and model our core assets into our software systems
* Implements in evolutionary and incremental steps
* Work across many teams and squads
* Manage multiple teams and own overall delivery.
* Motivate team and create a strong culture of engineering excellence.
* Be able to mentor team and manage organizational issues including performance calibration and salary reviews.
* Collaborate with local & global teams for both technical and non-technical issues like project management and requirements management.
* Cultivate technical backlog with team leads to upgrade platform continuously.
* Analyze & remediate production issues and build in fault tolerance & operational readiness into the system architecture.
* High availability of systems is a must-have.
* Excellent communication skills
* 10+ years’ experience in progressively senior technology roles
* 5+ years of experience leading development teams.
* Experience with SOA, micro-services, scale, millions of daily requests, load management, geographical distribution, traffic management, building for scale, runtime dependency management, messaging and resiliency
* Proficiency with Agile Methodologies such scaled agile, scrum, XP
* Experience managing multiple teams & distributed development.
* Track record of driving and producing change
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.