Senior Manager Quality Engineering
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
You have the ability to thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity.
Our Business Technology organization seeks a talented, enthusiastic and proactive individual who will be responsible for managing the Performance & Integration Testing of our Authorizations and Commercial Payments products within our SAFe Agile Release Trains.
In collaboration with the Software Engineering and Product Teams, the Senior Quality Engineering Manager will own and drive the delivery of high quality features to our customers.
The individual will be required to foster collaboration and provide thought leadership while contributing to core products for the department. Will act as a coach and mentor to team members, setting and helping each individual execute against a personal development plan. Be a champion of Agile and Lean practices, reinforcing positive team behaviors and enabling teams to solve their own issues which improves team performance over time. Also be responsible for developing and managing a test automation framework for technologies and data security. Partner with technology teams identifying the appropriate frameworks. Communicate the team’s goals and objectives to test teams.
Reinforces positive team behaviors and corrects issues:
- Acts as a champion of agile and Lean methodologies within and outside team
- Participates in key ceremonies to observe, encourage and influence team members in behaviors based on Agile and Lean methodologies
- Synthesizes behavioral wins and challenges and comes up with pro-active strategies to reinforce or remediate (e.g. using team barometer)
Ensures individual team member development goals are met:
- Creates tailored plans for each team member’s personal development and skill building
- Encourages and supports team members to lead communities of practice on specific topics
Identifies and solves systemic/structural problems to create high-performing teams:
- Identifies problems impacting multiple teams and assumes ownership of solution
- Identifies areas with skill gaps that need to be addressed and comes up with plan to remediate including hiring, balancing skill sets and training team members
- Helps teams route delivery related issues and blockers to the appropriate forums and participants
- Uses observations and available Scrum team metrics (e.g. burnup/down chart; enhanced velocity chart; cycle and lead time) to identify and help drive resolution for systemic issues and patterns within an individual team and across teams
Owns and supports systems within Value Stream (or as assigned). Manage ongoing Release Train Operations:
- Coach team in quality code behaviors and set goals for quality
- Support Production readiness and impacting incidents and follow through on resolution to avoid future incidents
- Identifies the business need to implement and enhance tools.
- Sets expectations with the business and establishes service-level agreements. Assists in the escalation and resolution of issues.
- Analyses metrics to identify and implement improvements to defined processes and procedures.
- Identifies quality improvement initiatives and enhances open source-based tools.
- Manages a team including hiring, performance, and development decisions.
- Responsible for developing and managing a test automation framework for technologies and data security. Partners with technology teams to identify the appropriate frameworks. Communicates the team’s goals and objectives to test teams.
Our Tech Stack:
- Jenkins, GitHub, Nexus, Chef, Ansible, Hygieia
- PCF, Linux, Vmware
- Cucumber, Java, Junit, WireMock
- CI/CD Pipeline Automation using Jenkins
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Leading enterprise-scale Quality Engineering activities within the Financial Services industry, focused on identifying open source tool sets and adopting it for enterprise usage, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in Leading enterprise-scale Quality Engineering activities within the Financial Services industry, focused on identifying open source tool sets and adopting it for enterprise usage, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- 6+ years of Leading enterprise-scale Quality Engineering activities within the Financial Services industry, focused on identifying open source tool sets and adopting it for enterprise usage, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in a test management role within Payments domain
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, Team motivator and Team player
- Awareness of emerging trends in software engineering
- Belief that empowered individuals make great teammates
- Applied knowledge of Agile Scrum and SAFe.
- Solid understanding of Distributed application infrastructure.
- Exposure to modern software testing practices including but not restricted to Test Automation, Test First, TDD, ATDD and BDD.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!