Senior Manager Software Engineering at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
WHO WE ARE
Discover is more than a credit card. At its core, Discover is a software company. Our customers and Partners demand products/services that help them spend smarter and achieve a brighter financial future. These products/services are built and supported by our software teams. We have fun at work and live these values:
- One customer. The person using the product is who matters.
- Teams get it done. You won't be sitting in a corner on your own - it's a collective effort.
- Seek to understand. Listen first, ask why, and then reach a conclusion.
- Progress over perfection. Try new ideas and be comfortable with failing fast.
- No spectators. Expect to tackle tough problems and to challenge the status quo.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
People don’t solely rely on physical credit/debit cards anymore. They want next generation Digital Payment options. As Senior Manager you will partner with our Business and Technology stakeholders to drive technical leadership in a continuous agile manager while planning and executing our Product Backlog. In this position, you will be a leader in our Digital Payments technology domain. Your talents will allow you to contribute, if not shape, our Business and Technology outcomes. Always wanted to have your change agent voice heard? We love to listen. We want you to help create and break-down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plans. We need your talents to help ensure our outcomes are aligning to the needs of our Customers and Partners. Most rewarding, you will work with a variety of teams and players while actively contribute to the developer experience by enhancing current solution patterns and defining new ones. All cutting edge work leveraging the latest technologies in the industry.
- Manage software ownership and development from initial concept through continuous improvement
- Ensure our solution is properly addressing scalability, security, availability, and maintainability needs
- Support initiatives and operations for our key customers/partners
- Coach and mentor team members. Support individuals to achieve their individual development goals
- Consults with management in the analysis of business requirements and recommends innovations
- Utilizes tools to support data-driven decision making. Identifies and removes blockers to enable the team to meet business goals
- Software quality governance and team mentoring for multiple teams
- Enable the team to be cross-functional and autonomous
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk/compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes
OUR TECH STACK
- Java / J2EE
- Spring (Core, Spring Integration, Spring Boot)
- JSON processing and validation
- Data/Cache Technologies: Elasticsearch, Gemfire, Oracle, Maria
- CI with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Gradle, Nexus, Chef, Ansible
- Cloud/PaaS Architectures (Cloud Foundry/VM/AWS/OCP)
- Variety of scripting language
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
8+ years of experience in Application Development
2+ years of experience in supervising
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Experience in modern engineering delivery practices – CI/CD, Test Automation, Paired Programming, XP
- Passion for learning
- Strong collaborator
- Servant leader
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in software engineering
- Excellent ability to communicate and present to all levels with the organization
- Agile, Scrum Master
What are you waiting for? Apply today!