Senior Principal Engineer at Narrative Science
We are seeking a Senior Principal Engineer to join our Lexio product development team. Lexio combines data analysis, natural language generation, and an intuitive user experience to reimagine Business Intelligence. A person who is great for this role is someone who uses creativity and innovation to make Lexio better for the end-user every day.
We expect that all engineers can work full-stack to some degree, but we also know that most engineers have a primary focus. You will have technical ownership over significant parts of the Lexio codebase. You will be challenged with a diverse set of projects including greenfield product development and system-level platform improvements.
While technical work will be your primary focus, a person for this role has to be a problem solver at their core. You have to be a collaborator who is energized by working with the entire spectrum of the Lexio team; engineering, product, design, customer success, and go-to-market. You need to be hungry to build something great and resilient to the fact that customer and user needs often change. You take delight in:
- Working on unique technical problems in the emerging field of data storytelling
- Working in small teams to efficiently design and build solutions to novel problems
- Mentoring people and believing that a great product comes from great team collaboration
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- Proven expertise of Python or equivalent
- Experience with Unix / Linux systems (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, etc.)
- Familiarity with cloud computing, particularly AWS
- Demonstrated ability to write clean, helpfully-commented and readable code
- A drive to learn constantly with an analytical and problem-solving mindset
- A passion for growing as an engineer and helping others grow
- Experience with owning a technical roadmap, defining developer standards, and promoting best practices across the engineering organization
- A knack for debugging unfamiliar problems
- Proven experience dealing with ambiguity
- Experience with statistics and/or machine learning
- Experience building modern front-apps (e.g. React/Redux, Angular, Vue)
About the Engineering Team @ Narrative Science
The Engineering team at Narrative Science specializes in delivering high-value cloud-based solutions to customers. Specifically, we are responsible for building and innovating on an insightful and personalized data storytelling platform. We work a lot with data pipelines, analytics, natural language generation (NLG), continuous deployment tooling, and cloud architecture.
Culture @ Narrative Science
Narrative Science believes that data storytelling can empower everyone to understand and take action from their data. Our mission is to build software that leverages artificial intelligence to automatically turn data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge.
Our core virtues (mission-driven, impactful, team first, innovative) are ingrained in everything we do, from how we develop our technology to how we interact with customers to how we hire people. Since 2020, we have embraced a remote approach and are on a journey to ingrain that in our culture. All while being immersed in our culture of learning, collaboration, innovation, and customer impact.
At Narrative Science, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our future employees, colleagues, customers, partners, and other stakeholders. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.