Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
WHO WE ARE
Discover. A Brighter Future.
We’re dedicated to helping people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more for a brighter financial future. Together, we get things done the right way by focusing on transparency— and help millions of customers in the process. From our internal systems, to the latest digital banking and payment tools, we’re revolutionizing the fintech industry.
Our technology organization is composed of Agile-focused, small yet high-performing engineering teams. These teams leverage cutting-edge tech and embrace automation. Discover technologists empower each other to grow while fostering an environment of belonging. Our inclusive culture sets us apart and inspires teams to strive for a true, industry-leading transformation. At Discover our technologists step in the door and immediately have the opportunity to be impactful, not only to our organization but also to the customers and communities that we support.
The Senior Principal Software Engineer drives the performance of our engineering teams. Their thought leadership enables fellow technologists to take flight. As an ever-evolving organization, we are reliant on these individuals to seize the newest technologies and determine the path forward. At Discover we play to win, and in this role you lead us to victory.
As part of our Hydra team, your objective is enhance and maintain an application with 99.999% availability. There is increasing demand to evolve our application to meet the needs of the business. At the same time you are developing new functionality, you are looking for opportunities to increase quality and production stability. Always there are opportunities to modernize the current state; to add more automation and improve efficiencies. Our technologists teach and guide others, using their expertise so that the team can succeed in a fast paced setting. Your contributions on this team will help position Discover Global Network as a leader in the payments industry.
What You’ll Do:
As a Senior Principal Software Engineer, you will:
- Create and maintain full stack solutions in one or more ways:
- Complex front-ends (user interfaces), with a focus on user experience
- Multiple Back-end systems
- DevOps processes and application infrastructure, while leveraging cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Plan how we build and integrate new systems by leveraging your holistic knowledge of the products in our ecosystem
- Collaborate with our business partners to understand all business requirements
- Innovate on best practices for our team and advocate for improved processes with our internal partners
- Support live systems to ensure business continuity
- Solve complex technical problems and explore new ways to bring value
- Guide our team through implementing new solutions from inception to production
- Mentor and inspire our team members by helping them to hone tech skills/expertise
- Keep up-to-date with new technology trends and innovations
- Frequently attend Industry Conferences and occasionally participate in panels to and lead “TED Talk” like forums
- Leverage your network to bring the best of the best to our technology organization
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 10+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- In lieu of education, 12+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.