Senior Python Engineer
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective through the use of digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
The Senior Developer is responsible for building products that achieve RedShelf’s business goals, educating others in your area of expertise, and growing your knowledge of software development best practices.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support your team in delivering well-written, well-tested code to complete new features or address issues in the product
- Collaborate across Engineering on the design, implementation, testing, and review of new features and fixes
- Review code and contribute feedback to improve the quality, readability, and testability of the code base across Engineering
- Possess a deep understanding of RedShelf’s products and business which you can translate into tech
- Advocate paying down technical debt and use development approaches that minimize the growth of new technical debt
- Architect, design, develop, deploy, and operate services that serve hundreds of thousands of users
- Be a leader in RedShelf's developer community
- Mentor junior engineers
- Drive good engineering practices
- Implement the vision and long-term strategy in your domain of expertise
- Spread learning across Engineering
- Ensure that customer-facing UX is accessible for all supported devices and user accessibility needs (WCAG 2.0, Section 508, ADA, etc.)
- Use the Agile Scrum process to experiment and improve on software development practices on the team
- 6+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of experience maintaining the front-end and back-end of a complex, product-focused codebase
- Experience publishing and consuming APIs
- Proven track record of building successful full-stack applications, products or platforms
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience with Python and frameworks like Django is a plus
- Experience building ADA-compliant or WCAG 2.0-compliant interfaces
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing is a plus
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing
- Comfort and/or experience in a startup environment
- Ideal candidate is self-sufficient and highly motivated, self-directed and possess high energy and a passion for RedShelf
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages, including company stock options.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.