Senior SDET (Software Development Engineer in Test) at Kin Insurance
Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
As Senior SDET you will be a core member of our QA automation team and serve as the team’s technical lead and mentor. You will be making technical decisions and guiding the team while creating automation tests and working closely with development teams. You will also be working closely with others in technology and representing QA on the architectural review board.
A day in the life could include:
- Mentoring other SDET’s on quality assurance and test automation best practices
- Write and execute test cases to ensure development outputs meet acceptance criteria, technical specifications, and product goals
- Document software defects in bug tracking system and monitor bug resolutions
- Investigate, test, and debug complex issues
- Participate in code reviews
- Write and maintain unit tests and automated test suites
- Analyze automation test results and present analysis
- Participate in troubleshooting and triaging of issues with various teams to determine root cause and resolution
- Perform automated regression and performance testing
- Plan and conduct the analysis, inspection, design, test, and/or integration to assure the quality of large and complex projects
- Collaborate with various stakeholders in multiple technical disciplines including developers, business intelligence, data engineers, devops, and architects
- Reviewing test automation backlog and adding technical specifications where needed
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 7+ years of software testing experience
- 5+ years of software development / test automation experience
- Background in software testing and product knowledge in the design of tests
- Experience with QA techniques, such as black box, white box, and gray box approaches for smoke, regression, functional, user acceptance, and exploratory testing
- Experience setting up test frameworks and executing performance and load tests
- Hands-on work experience with setting up test frameworks in selenium or similar frameworks. Bonus if experienced with Rspec and Capybara.
- Experience creating XPath queries and functions
- Experience using Git or other source code management tools
- Experience with deployments, CI/CD tools, DVCS, and database migrations
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.