The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. We’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them. We're actively hiring Engineers remotely and excited to announce that Root is a “work where it works best” company. Meaning we will support you working in whatever location that works best for you across the US. We will continue to have our headquarters in Columbus and offices in other locations to give more flexibility and more choice about how we live and work.
Our team excels at delivering software to solve the problems in front of us at Root: presently, a suite of world-class mobile, web, and server-based products obsessed with the customer experience. We’ve shaped our team and process around this; we know that constant iteration and experimentation produce the best results.
For more information on engineering at Root see root.engineering
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to come and join our scaling Information Security team. In this role, you will be responsible for managing a team of security engineers with expertise in securing our information systems and applications against the latest threats. This team is responsible for setting the bar when it comes to security standards for engineering - combining long term strategic plans toward target maturity levels with the excitement and challenge of adapting to an ever-changing/evolving threat landscape. Our technical leaders are expected to be hands on in the technical decision making process - although you won’t be writing code on a daily basis, we fully expect our engineering leaders to be able to read and write code, and more importantly both make and contribute to technical architecture decisions.
We divide the areas of responsibility for engineers into three major areas:
What we look for in a Senior Security Engineering Manager:
- Experience securing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance, and reliability
- Significant experience and technical knowledge in security engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, and application security
- Experience with risk identification and risk management techniques, including threat modeling
- Experience designing and/or reviewing the security of systems in conjunction with a development team
- Experience in secure software design, secure architectures, security testing, and vulnerability detection or remediation
Planning and Execution
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal process and maximum productivity
- Demonstrated track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor other managers and security engineers while building and maintaining high agility and high morale
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
Working with Others
- Mentors and grows other engineers
- Sets and evaluates goals for direct reports
- Provides effective and accurate technical feedback in code reviews
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
- Able to positively influence other engineers, both directly and indirectly
- Works with product owners, analysts and other functions to move company’s priorities forward