Senior Software Architect at Morningstar
About the Role
The Credit Engineering team is fast-paced, loves to collaborate, and is relentlessly focused on value delivery.
We strongly believe in the following principles:
Keep it simple - We don't over-engineer our products, services, or processes. Simpler is easier to understand, build upon, and maintain. All for one - We win by winning together as a team. Team productivity over individual productivity. We go out of our way to help each other.
Ship It - We're all makers/builders. We believe in finishing, delivering, then iterating.
As a Senior Software Architect, you will be working in an agile cross-functional product development team improving and supporting systems already in place that drive our business as well as building new features/systems/products to deliver value. You will be exposed to all aspects of product development: design of user experience, system architecture, database design, frontend and backend software development, code reviews, automated testing, automated infrastructure, systems monitoring, and support.
We have a can-do attitude and we all show a willingness to take ownership of projects to get them across the finish line. We are passionate about keeping our systems modern, reusable, and maintainable.
You'll be shaping the future of financial research and helping to make DBRS Morningstar a technology-first environment.technology-first environment.
- Architect cloud-native applications and Micro Services.
- Design and Architect scalable and fault-tolerant software products.
- Work with the development team to chalk out the strategy for performance, resiliency, and scalability.
- Ensure adherence to corporate mandates and work with the Information Security team to implement recommendations.
- Own tech debt in the product line and work with scrum masters to prioritize those.
- Migrate critical legacy apps to the cloud and own refactoring and breaking up of monoliths to ensure it is well supported.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 7+ Years of Experience in Software Development, Design, and Architecture.
- Enjoys working in a collaborative team: whiteboarding sessions, pair programming, and code reviews.
- Deep understanding of at least one programming language and at least one modern web application framework. We primarily use Node.js, Java, Python, Vue.js, and angular.js.
- Strong proficiency in building and consuming RESTful APIs.
- Experience with the design and optimization of databases, preferably both relational and NoSQL varieties.
- Knowledge of computer science and Internet fundamentals: design patterns, data structures, algorithms, networking.
- Has good engineering practices: unit testing, clean code, CI, and CD.
Nice to have
- Experience designing Microservices or serverless applications.
- Experience with automated infrastructure configurations and orchestration. We use Terraform, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes, TeamCity, serverless.
- Exposure to administering Linux and Windows servers.
- Experience working in an agile team. We use Kanban/Scrumban.
- Experience building applications on cloud infrastructure. We use AWS.
- Understanding of what it takes to architect a highly available and secure system
- Experience with message/queue systems
DBRS Morningstar is a global credit ratings business, currently with 700 employees in eight offices globally. Formed through the July 2019 acquisition of DBRS by Morningstar, Inc., the ratings business is the fourth-largest provider of credit ratings in the world.
DBRS Morningstar is committed to empowering investor success, serving the market through leading-edge technology and raising the bar for the industry. DBRS Morningstar is a market leader in Canada, the U.S. and Europe in multiple asset classes.
DBRS Morningstar rates more than 2,600 issuers and 54,000 securities worldwide and is driven to bringing more clarity, diversity of opinion, and responsiveness to the ratings process. DBRS Morningstar’s approach and size provide the agility to respond to customers’ needs, while being large enough to provide the necessary expertise and resources.