Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Currently seeking a thoughtful, well-rounded software developer to be part of the Business Technology - Customer Digital Channels & Communication. In this role, the individual will work in a highly technical agile team which develops mobile app and digital products utilizing the latest Discover platforms for continuous integration and continuous delivery. The individual will be required to foster collaboration while contributing to the development of modern software.
What You’ll Do
As part of the Discover Digital Product Journey, which includes big browser and mobile experiences, you’ll:
- Leverage your development skills to the highest capacity to help drive key initiatives and projects and shape our business and technology outcomes to meet customer and partner needs.
- Create and break down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plan
- Break down complex requirements into workable technical solutions.
- Contribute to the developer experience by leveraging the latest industry technologies to enhance current solution patterns and define new ones.
How You’ll Do It
- Deliver on all product development phases from planning, application development, release, and support.
- Drive product quality through paired programming and test driven development.
- Ensure applications meet security, high availability, and maintainability requirements.
- Develop application code using languages such as ReactJs and React Native frameworks.
- Develop / maintain a CICD pipeline to build, test, and deploy application artifacts.
- Collaborate with other developers on code reviews and process enhancements, ensuring that code reviews are performed and documented using the approved template.
- Complete unit and system testing prior to the start of any PA region testing.
- Improve the performance of the production environment.
- Leverage Agile/iterative/lean processes to deliver projects faster.
- Propose ideas that better position our applications to support future business and technology initiatives, while meeting project/release timelines.
- Incorporate new technology/frameworks to support our continuous integration efforts.
- Ensure project compliance by adhering to regulatory, PDP, Change Management, and Internet Department processes and standards.
- Contribute to best practices to support a strong software architecture.
- Ensure any volume and capacity considerations are communicated during the design phase (or prior to committing to a Sprint). Document software and perform related duties as assigned or requested.
- Reduce occurrence of vulnerabilities by adhering to proper secure coding practices, having a "Security First" mindset, and handling sensitive data per security guidelines.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in information technology, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in software development or related field
- In lieu of education, 6+ years of experience in software development or related field
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience with Mobile app development
- Knowledge of React, Redux, and Frontend application frameworks
- Experience with React Native (or React) app and REST Web Services development
- Expertise in object-oriented design and implementation, and capable of forming a deep understanding of our underlying frameworks and languages
- Understanding of REST Web Services, JSON and Design Patterns using various technologies
- Strong debugging skills with the ability to reach out and work with peers to solve complex problems
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.