Senior Software Engineer, API Services at Shiftgig
Senior Software Engineer, API Services
Shiftgig connects businesses with the on-demand workforce through our industry-leading mobile platform. Our technology provides financial opportunity for hourly workers seeking flexibility and choice while delivering powerful business agility to companies. More than 2,500 clients in food service, hospitality, retail, warehouse and experiential marketing use Shiftgig because of its ability to easily fill and manage short-term job assignments with pre-vetted, skills-assessed workers. Shiftgig is changing the way people work.
About the role:
We are leveraging the latest technologies to advance our mission of connecting millions of workers with millions of shifts. Join us on our path building and scaling an evolving microservice vision based on AWS Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB/Aurora, integrated with an AWS-based data science learning and predictive platform.
Your job will be to empower our team of Python API engineers to release scalable, performant, supportable products into production. You will lead our team through a transition from traditional, monolithic services to a microservice-based architecture running on AWS. You will build the backend services that can be used easily by our product’s client applications and our integration partners.
This position will have influence shaping our API engineering practices in the months and years to come. As such, it is very important that you are highly self-motivated, and can work well in a fast-paced, changing environment.
A qualified candidate will have:
- 8+ years of experience building and operating APIs, SOAs, or microservices with 2+ years of production Python
- Experience defining and documenting standards and practices for writing maintainable, secure services
- Substantial experience creating REST (or REST-like) interfaces
- Familiarity with the concepts of domain-driven design
- Experience with AWS services in production environments
- Experience building and leading teams of API engineers, helping to establish best practices, and providing technical mentorship
- Experience using SRE techniques to establish patterns for reliability for software
- Experience creating publicly-available APIs, or working with customers or partners to leverage private APIs
- Software architecture experience, from service decomposition to queueing and communication techniques, to caching and performance
- Excellent communication skills, able to talk to engineers and stakeholders alike
- Experience writing AWS Lambdas, and/or using Serverless to create Lambdas
- PostgreSQL and SQLAlchemy
- Celery or another distributed task queue
- Messaging queues (like RabbitMQ, SNS/SQS)
- 5+ years with Python as your primary programming language
- Experience working in an agile environment, developing MVPs and successfully iterating with evolutionary architectures
- Experience recruiting
- Experience with Terraform, Ansible, or some other infrastructure automation tool
- Experience with GraphQL
- HRA – Health Reimbursement Account
- HSA – set up a Health Savings Account
- 90% Dental Coverage
- 100% Vision Care Coverage
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Parking and Transportation Spending Account
- 401(K) Retirement Plan
Shiftgig is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.