Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Merchant Core) at Affirm (Remote)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
The Merchant Core team at Affirm builds and maintains the merchant-focused backend APIs that powers the entirety of the Affirm product suite, ranging from Checkout to the Merchant Portal. The primary goal of the team is to build the underlying merchant-focused services consumed by other product engineering teams within Affirm, and enable new product features and capabilities that allows merchants of all sizes to efficiently sign, onboard, launch and deepen their integration with Affirm.
The technology we are building is in service towards the vision of driving universal merchant adoption of Affirm as a payment option. We are striving to achieve ubiquity across online shopping by accelerating the merchant onboarding process, innovating the purchasing experience at the point of sale, and empowering merchants to self-manage all aspects of their integration through the Merchant Portal.
We are looking for a highly motivated senior software engineer to join us and help fulfill our vision. The work will be challenging due to the speed at which the market is growing, and the work involved will directly impact the growth trajectory of the merchant network.
What you'll do
- Work with product and engineering managers to identify and plan projects based on the team goals and resources.
- Drive detailed project definition, design, cross-functional alignment, estimation, in addition to task break-down, delivery, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Consistently generate simple and elegant designs, and write high-quality code that can be easily understood and leveraged by others.
- Build relationships with people across engineering and other organizations for the design, implementation, roll-out and maintenance of projects.
- Actively participates in making their team and workplace an inclusive environment for people from all backgrounds.
What we look for
- 4-6+ years of experience as a software engineer with leadership responsibilities and experience mentoring junior engineers.
- Passion for working with cross-functional teams including Product, Design, Analytics and Business teams.
- Expert at synthesizing complex business, product, and technical requirements to consistently produce high quality system designs and software.
- A humble team-player who places the needs of others first and participates in the development of peers on the team.
- Experience scaling systems in a service oriented architecture preferred but not required.
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.