Senior Software Engineer, (Backend) Online Frameworks at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Affirm's engineering team is building a large-scale, fault-tolerant, and global infrastructure that is shared across multiple financial products, merchants, and vendors. Ensuring that our infrastructure is transparently available to all engineers is critical to the success of the business. We pride ourselves on our culture across engineering of writing blameless postmortems as well as writing detailed tech specs and gathering feedback before large changes to systems.
The Online Frameworks team provides a collection of compute environments, storage solutions, security services, traffic management tools, and application development frameworks to run Affirm's core product. Our customers are not only Affirm users, but also other engineering teams at Affirm. As a team, we are responsible for building and exposing simple interfaces of online infrastructure components. These components are ultimately used in the application development lifecycle. Examples of components we own include our Kubernetes runtime environment for microservices, the managed database systems for our customer data, the asynchronous task framework for executing loan underwriting decisions, the self-service secrets management system for all Affirm engineers, and the entire routing layer used to serve online requests to Affirm.com.
What you'll do
- Plan, execute, and own technical decisions and projects within the Online Frameworks team.
- Work alongside the Online Framework technical leads to collaborate with the greater engineering organization.
- Design and build frameworks, services, and tools to handle new Affirm products and business requirements that securely scale over millions of users and their transactions.
- Educate, mentor and grow junior engineers in the team, and drive best practices around design, coding, and testing.
What we look for
- Experience developing fault-tolerant, multi-region online backend systems.
- Proven CS fundamentals and hands on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go, or JVM-based languages (Java, Kotlin, Scala)
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or other cloud providers.
- Familiarity with Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA) is a plus. We use technologies such as Kubernetes, MySQL, Kafka, Docker, gRPC, Envoy, Istio, Celery, RabbitMQ, NGINX, and Redis to name a few, but we are always looking for new technologies to adopt.
- You prefer using, enhancing, and contributing to open source solutions rather than building solutions from ground up.
- You value keeping costs low while building your products.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
Location - Remote U.S.
Grade - USA30
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company ! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act , the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here .
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role. Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways-not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that's why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report .
We also believe It's On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.