As a Senior Software Engineer you will contribute to design, development, testing and deployment of software systems and/or applications.
JOB DUTIES: Responsibilities of the incumbents are across functional lines with individuals assigned in new program development of web services, enterprise API, Microservices and/or distributed computing systems in a public Cloud environment.
- Competent to perform all programming and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
- Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution.
- Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems.
- Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
- Mentor and assist software engineers, providing technical assistance and direction as needed
- Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits
- Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team
- Guide the team to develop a structured application/interface code, new program documentation, operations documentation and user guides in a casual, flexible environment
- Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
- Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
- Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- 8+ years of overall backend or full-stack experience
- 5+ years of Java 8 or 11, Spring Boot and RESTful API development (preferably Microservices)
- 1+ years for solid Cloud production experience (preferably AWS) OR a higher-level Cloud training certification (e.g., AWS Solution Architect Associate) OR Cloud native computing with PCF or Kubernetes
- Experience with SQL/NoSQL databases and JPA/Hibernate
- Good Knowledge (if not Experience) and interest in UI development (Angular or React)
- Excellent communication and presentational skills
Top candidates will also have:
- Proven experience in many of the following,
- Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
- Application architectural patterns, such as 12-factor app development, parallel processing with multi-threading, event-driven, etc.
- Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
- Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum)
- Strong understanding and/or experience in many of the following,
- Message brokers such as Kafka, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Apache ActiveMQ, Kinesis.
- Experience writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway or Azure API Gateway
- Hands one experience with API tools such as Swagger, Postman and Assertible
- Test driven development and behavior driven development.
- Datastores such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Oracle.
- Debugging and maintaining software in Linux or Unix platforms.
- Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
- Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated leadership on small to medium-scale projects impacting strategic priorities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering or related field is required
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.