OppLoans is a growing FinTech company that helps credit-challenged consumers build a better financial path through accessible products and five-star customer service. As one of Chicago's fastest-growing startups, we've made the Crain's Business Chicago Fast 50 (#4 in 2019, #8 in 2020) and the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 (twice), and we've ranked in Inc. 5000 five years in a row!What you get to do:
The Clojure Backend Software Engineering team at OppLoans creates cloud-based microservices. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will report to the Sr. Director of Software Engineering of Clojure services. You will develop back-end services used across our entire technology platform.
- Work with a team of engineers to build our microservices portfolio, implemented using Clojure, Amazon Web Services, PostgreSQL, Docker and Terraform using CI/CD process
- Partner with business and technical professionals to develop high-quality, resilient and scalable solutions to business problems, help implement and refine agile processes.
- Contribute to architecture, design, tooling, process and culture.
- Lead by example - we encourage team members to lead on a path that evolves the way we do things!
- Grow your skills and help others do the same! Our team manages our own internal training, with budgets for classes, conferences, books, and materials.
- Be a mentor for junior team members.
- Expert level experience using one or more modern programming languages. Show us you've solved non-trivial engineering problems with your language and we'll be interested in you. Our collective team background includes Clojure/Lisp, Ruby, Python, Java, Node.js, Erlang and C++; bonus if you already have some proficiency in Clojure or another functional language.
- Experience developing systems with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Experience building RESTful APIs, and using those provided by 3rd parties.
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD) in an agile environment.
- Experience mentoring junior engineers, and helping teams improve over time.
OppLoans is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience that allows you to define your career and purpose with us. New hire "Opptimists" go through orientation, shadow programs, a new hire lunch with our CEO, Jared Kaplan, and you can participate in different company culture events focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our Onboarding team has designed programs to make you feel welcome and part of our team during your first year and beyond.
- Define the mission (days 1-30): You will understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your role at OppLoans plays a part in that.
- Define your goals (months 1-3): You will understand your role expectations and identify goals with your manager and mentor(s) to fulfill those expectations.
- Define your belonging (months 3-6): You will understand OppLoans' culture and have opportunities to engage with and impact that culture. Business Resource Groups and other programs are offered to help with community connection both virtually and in-person.
- Define your journey (6 months - 1 year): You will feel confident in your abilities to execute in your role and know the next step you will take to develop your career.
OppLoans offers a 401(k) matching program and flexible paid vacation. Other benefits include medical benefits, dental and vision coverage, and tuition reimbursement. To support your wellness, you receive a free gym membership at One Two Pru, Audible membership, access to all LinkedIn Learning courses, and monthly meditation and yoga classes. To get you to and from work, you can participate in our pre-tax commuter benefits program with CTA and Metra, park your bike in the One Two Pru bike storage room, and take advantage of discounted Divvy memberships. Dress code is casual. Lunch is subsidized through Fooda and Sweetgreen, and healthy snacks and drinks are available all day at the office.
Our office is conveniently located in downtown Chicago with panoramic views of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan as well as rooftop access.EEOC Statement
We do not discriminate based on identity - race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged/sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
OppLoans is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, OppLoans will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People team at [email protected]