Senior Software Engineer, Clojure at OppFi
Helping the Everyday Consumer Build Financial Health
OppFi is a leading financial technology platform that powers banks to offer accessible products and a top-rated experience to everyday consumers. Through our unwavering commitment to customer service, OppFi helps consumers who are turned away by traditional providers build a better financial path. OppFi is an Inc. 5000 company for five straight years, a Deloitte's Technology Fast 500™, and the seventh fastest-growing Chicagoland company by Crain's Chicago Business. The company was also named on Forbes America 2021 list of America's Best Startup Employers and Built In's 2021 Best Places to Work in Chicago.
OppFi is a team of caring and innovative individuals with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Our employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work everyday and know you are a part of making a difference. Our company values guide us and create an open and collaborative culture where we hold the door, say what we see, do what we say, and dare to win together!What you get to do:
The Clojure Backend Software Engineering team at OppLoans creates cloud-based microservices. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will report to the Sr. Director of Software Engineering of Clojure services. You will develop back-end services used across our entire technology platform.
- Work with a team of engineers to build our microservices portfolio, implemented using Clojure, Amazon Web Services, PostgreSQL, Docker and Terraform using CI/CD process
- Partner with business and technical professionals to develop high-quality, resilient and scalable solutions to business problems, help implement and refine agile processes.
- Contribute to architecture, design, tooling, process and culture.
- Lead by example - we encourage team members to lead on a path that evolves the way we do things!
- Grow your skills and help others do the same! Our team manages our own internal training, with budgets for classes, conferences, books, and materials.
- Be a mentor for junior team members.
- Expert level experience using one or more modern programming languages. Show us you've solved non-trivial engineering problems with your language and we'll be interested in you. Our collective team background includes Clojure/Lisp, Ruby, Python, Java, Node.js, Erlang and C++; bonus if you already have some proficiency in Clojure or another functional language.
- Experience developing systems with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Experience building RESTful APIs, and using those provided by 3rd parties.
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD) in an agile environment.
- Experience mentoring junior engineers, and helping teams improve over time.
Define your career at OppFi
OppFi is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience that allows you to define your career and purpose with us. New team members go through orientation, shadow programs, a new hire lunch with our CEO, Jared Kaplan, and you can participate in different company culture events focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our team has designed programs to make you feel welcome and part of our team during your first year and beyond.
- Define the mission (days 1-30): You will understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your role at OppLoans plays a part in that.
- Define your goals (months 1-3): You will be able to understand your role expectations and identify goals with your manager and mentor(s) to fulfill those expectations.
- Define your belonging (months 3-6): You will understand OppFis’ culture and have opportunities to engage with and impact that culture. Business Resource Groups and other programs are offered to help with community connection both virtually and in-person.
- Define your journey (6 months - 1 year): You will feel confident in your abilities to execute in your role and know the next step you will take to develop your career.
Compensation and Benefits
OppFi offers a flexible remote environment, 401(k) matching program, and flexible paid vacation. Other benefits include medical benefits, dental and vision coverage, and tuition reimbursement. To support your wellness & growth, we provide monthly meditation and yoga classes and access to all LinkedIn Learning courses. We also offer Fringe, which is a lifestyle benefits platform that lets you decide how you want to spend your rewards from dozens of vendors like Uber, Doordash and Urban Sitter. Dress code is casual.
We do not discriminate based on identity - race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged/sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
OppFi is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, OppFI will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People team at [email protected].