Senior Software Engineer (Clojure) at OppLoans
OppLoans is a rapidly growing Fintech company that helps credit-challenged consumers build a better financial path through accessible products and five-star customer service. As one of Chicago’s fastest-growing startups, we’ve made the Crain’s Business Chicago Fast 50 (#4 in 2019) and the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 (twice), and we’ve ranked in the top 10% of the Inc. 500 four years in a row!
OppLoans is a team of caring and inventive “Opptimists” with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. OppLoans employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work every morning and know they are a part of something great. That’s why we prize collaboration, collegiality, and letting the best ideas win the day.
The Software Engineering team contributes to the development and improvement of the services we provide for our customers. Reporting to the manager of back-end software engineering, you will develop back-end services used across our entire technology platform.
- Contribute to the development of our product portfolio built with Clojure, Amazon Web Services, and PostgreSQL.
- You will partner with business and technical professionals to ensure the code is well designed within an Agile framework to contribute to architecture and development environments.
- We want you to grow your skills with us! Start on or before 11/21/2019 and we’ll bring you to Clojure/conj 2019 along with our other developers. Our team manages our own internal training, with budgets for classes, conferences, books, and materials.
- Mentor other junior members as the team grows.
What you will bring to the team:
- 8+ years of experience software development experience, including professional or personal development experience with functional programming
- Experience using one or more modern programming languages. Show us you’ve solved non-trivial engineering problems with your language and we’ll be interested in you. Our collective team background includes Clojure/Lisp, Ruby, Python, Java, Node.js, Erlang and C++; bonus if you already have some proficiency in Clojure.
- Experience developing systems with Amazon Web Services technologies; Lambda/API Gateway experience a big plus.
- Experience with Test-Driven Development (TDD) in an Agile environment.
- Experience building Restful API’s and consuming 3rd party API’s.
- Experience with Terraform, Kubernetes and Docker is a plus.
- Experience interpreting and refining company goals into requirements, having delivered large-scale projects from concept to production
OppLoans is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience that allows you to define your career and purpose with us. New hire “Opptimists” go through orientation, shadow programs, a new hire lunch with our CEO, Jared Kaplan, and you can participate in different company culture events focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our onboarding team has designed programs to make you feel welcome and part of our team during your first year and beyond.
- Define the Mission (days 1-30): You will understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your role at OppLoans plays a part in that.
- Define your Goals (months 1-3): You will be able to understand your role expectations and identify goals with your manager and mentor(s) to fulfill those expectations.
- Define your Belonging (months 3-6): You will understand OppLoans’ culture and have opportunities to engage with and impact that culture. Employee-led communities and programs, like our wellness program Project Opptimism, are offered to help with community connection both virtually and in-person.
- Define your Journey (6 months - 1 year): You will feel confident in your abilities to execute in your role and know the next step you will take to develop your career.