Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Software Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
The Role: Senior Software Engineer, Core Crypto Services (Backend)
As an engineer in wallet, you’ll be working as part of the core team of engineers responsible for supporting blockchain technologies across Gemini’s platform. The team supports everything related to accepting deposits, issuing withdrawals, and the secure storage of cryptocurrency on the platform. This includes everything from key management and signing infrastructure to blockchain integrations and token additions.
- Improve feedback cycles at all levels of development (examples: improving the experience of iterating on code locally, deploying to test environments, deploying to production)
- Quickly ramp up on relevant industry and competitive trends
- Consistently delivers code that sets the standard for quality and maintainability.
- Build secure contract protocols and backend services to connect Gemini users with the crypto ecosystem
- Systematically thinks through potential design impacts on other teams and the company
- Review other software engineers’ code for correctness, style, and information security concerns.
- Improve the performance, maintainability, and operations of the Gemini code base by engaging in occasional refactoring and upgrade projects.
- At least 5 years of software engineering experience.
- Expertise in Scala or in a similar backend programming languages, such as Java or C#
- Identify and advocate for foundational work and practice improvements in their vertical
- Genuinely passionate about working with developers and improving their experience and velocity.
- Technical aptitude around Blockchain Technology, Cryptography OR Custodian Services for Cryptocurrency*
- The ability to work closely across teams and manage dependencies.
- A customer- and product-focused mindset, with the ability to make well-reasoned tradeoffs between speed and quality.
- The ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities in collaboration with peers.
- Can successfully plan and execute projects involving multiple developers and complex requirements, prioritizing strategically
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.