Senior Software Engineer - Finance Engineering
The challenge of the Financial Engineering team is to ensure that the merchants who partner with Groupon are paid for the products and services they provide to our customers. The FED team produces millions of merchant payments per month totaling billions of dollars globally. We need to do this both promptly and accurately because our merchants are counting on us to be correct every time. We work with all lines of business on the Groupon platform to build flexible systems that will support Groupon’s evolving business models.
As a Software Engineer you will:
- You will be a technical leader who will help drive the product and team culture which is focused on inclusivity, ownership, and collaboration.
- Work with Product and Engineering management to understand requirements and design flexible solutions for our global systems.
- Implement, test, deploy, and provide production support in weekly iterations.
- Mentor and help grow the other engineers on the team.
An ideal candidate would have:
- 8+ years of developing and supporting software
- Deep knowledge of a dynamic or functional programming language.
- Willingness to work in our tech stack. Our systems are mainly written in Ruby and Clojure with some Java and EmberJS.
- Experience working with relational databases.
- We specifically use MySQL and Postgres.
- Experience working with web technologies.
- A desire to do pair programming.
- A commitment to writing well-tested code.
- The ability to communicate with non-engineering teams throughout the enterprise as we frequently work with Product, Accounting, and Support teams.
What we value:
- Thoughtful software engineers - we are building a financial infrastructure which is designed to operate for decades so we need people who can think about more than just the problem in front of them.
- Improving our craft - we all want to be better and we want to help each other get there.
- Teamwork - modern software is not a solitary pursuit. We code with each other, we review each other’s changes, we test each other’s code, and we support each other’s releases.
Growth paths for Engineers in this role:
- You can stay on an Individual Contributor Track and become a key technical leader within Groupon taking on larger cross domain problems
- You can use this role to transition into Engineering Management managing teams that solve Groupon's many challenges
Groupon is a global company with tremendous local impact and we are looking for people to help us. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t tick every one of the above boxes.
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.