Sittercity, a Bright Horizons company, is a technology platform working to reimagine the child care industry. Finding, hiring and managing high-quality, trustworthy and enriching child care has never been simple, for parents or caregivers. We want to change that. At Sittercity, you can imagine and create solutions that will revolutionize a multi-billion industry and bring relief to parents and care providers alike, all while having a lot of fun! Boost your career as we launch into our next phase of growth and help build a platform that changes the way child care works.
What You’ll Do
As a Senior Software Engineer, Front End at Sittercity, you’ll be leading our Organic Squad. This squad is a group of teammates drawn from a variety of disciplines, working to solve real problems for thousands of users. In this role, you’ll work with marketing and a dedicated product manager to identify new and unique opportunities to increase Sittercity’s organic traffic growth. You’ll lead both the technical planning and execution of a cohesive SEO strategy in partnership with a dedicated product manager and marketing resources. Your focus will be on building data-driven SEO solutions which optimize the way search engines crawl, index and rank, resulting in greater awareness by parents and caregivers.
You’ll have direct input into product decisions, and help ensure that your team’s work helps parents and caregivers connect efficiently and safely. Our stack is in transition, with both an older Rails monolith and a newer client web app that uses Vue and GraphQL. You’ll have the chance to help plot a course from where we are to where we want to be. You’ll work with teammates to execute feature code, refactor existing functionality, write unit and integration tests, and strengthen our platform. We value diversity of opinion, openness to feedback, and continuous learning. We strive to produce quality software, and you’ll join us in our ongoing quest to improve our tools and skills.
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, QA, other engineers and various stakeholders to develop new features
- Brainstorm with fellow team members to estimate the feasibility and implementation strategies of deliverables.
- Mentor other engineers and help with code reviews.
- Contribute to and drive front end best practices.
- Contribute to our front end unit tests.
- Be customer focused.
- Help manage the day to day sprint activities
- Help manage cross-squad dependencies
- Help the team balance optimization vs re-architectures vs adding to existing legacy code (tech debt)
- Help remove hurdles and escalate issues
- 3-5 years of experience as a front end engineer.
- Experience with SEO and page speed optimization
- Experience with RESTful APIs, GraphQL or both.
- Experience with unit testing, and writing testable code.
- Some familiarity with Ruby on Rails.
- Experience leading a team
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with accessibility best practices
- Familiarity with UI Regression Testing
Why you should join us
We offer an innovative and fun environment that rewards passionate and curious individuals. Due to COVID-19, this will start as a remote role with the potential to eventually rejoin our team in our Chicago office. Our office provides a bright and energized space for collaboration as well as many quiet areas for concentration. Additionally, you will receive the following benefits:
- Support for flexible and remote working environments
- Company events, social outings and volunteer opportunities
- Generous paid time off policy, including sick and holiday
- Industry-leading parental leave
- Tuition assistance, college coach, and enhanced family support
- Great benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, disability, life, and 401(k) matching
- Sittercity membership, back up child/adult/elder care, and child care center discounts
Sittercity is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis as prohibited by federal, state or local law. Sittercity participates in E-Verify and background checks all employees.