Home Chef is building new ways to provide meal solutions that meet a wide variety of customer needs, and shipping locations both online and in store. Our team is a unique mix of creators, chefs, entrepreneurs, and trailblazers and we’re growing quickly. Our customer-first mentality, combined with a zest for supporting our peers, helped us bring home Built in Chicago’s Startup of the Year Moxie award in 2017. If you’re ready to be part of the action, we’re ready to connect with you. There are no limits to where we can go together.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to escalate in the US and around the world, we are committed to keeping our teams and their families as our greatest priority. To that end, we are making some adjustments to the way we will be doing business in the upcoming weeks. We are taking all the necessary precautions to keep our employees and customers safe, and would love to have you on our team as we can continue to serve our communities.
Our technology product teams are building software that connect our customers to their dinner plans. Some of our product teams are focused on the customer journey, some are focused on enabling our internal innovation process, while others are focused on helping us effectively ship our meals to our customers. To accomplish this, we believe in building well rounded, diverse teams. In doing so, we create a great place to work, while shipping an impactful product.
- Can clearly communicate idiosyncrasies and trade offs in advanced technical topics, and can confidently make the final decision, with buy-in, on those topics
- Architecting complex systems in a way that is usable and maintainable by other developers; making high-level design choices and communicating expected technical standards
- Providing detailed, constructive feedback on pull requests in a timely fashion
- Enabling engineers to ship code to production efficiently
- Pairing with software engineers to write code
- Assisting with software engineers to discover opportunities for them to grow their skill-set and learn, both technically and non-technically
- Leading meetings about various technical topics or sprints
- Asking thoughtful questions to candidates
- Assessing both technical ability and culture add to Home Chef
- Pair programming with candidates
- Providing specific, timely feedback to the Home Chef team about candidate’s interview performance
- Often taking technical/architecture lead on large projects
- Understands technical impact on product planning, and communicates that clearly to product team
- Actively seeks strategic ways to improve company and increase positive outcomes in Technology
- Is highly accountable to individual and team commitments, while also having the ability to hold team accountable
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or other characteristics needed for this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- At least two years of experience shipping production code
- Up to one year of post-high school training such as in a business school, community college or vocational training or bootcamp
- Have built and shipped several major features in Ruby on Rails and/or React, including data modeling
- Must be comfortable working with version control such as GitHub
- Must be well-versed in at least one professional code editor (Atom, Sublime, VS Code, Vim, etc.)
- Must be comfortable working with tools like Slack and GSuite
- Must be willing to respond to on-call events when they occur
- Some advanced SQL knowledge is a plus, but not required
- Experience with Heroku a plus
- Experience with React Native a plus
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance – benefits start the 1st day of the month following your start date
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability
- 401k Employer match - 50% on the $1, up to 6% of the employee's earnings
- We offer flexible spending accounts (FSA) for qualified Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, or Transit expenses
- Flexible paid time off (PTO) policy, plus sick days
- Generous Parental Leave
- Great Work/Life Balance – We value and support each individual team member
- Quarterly company-wide “Town Hall” meetings
- Ongoing professional development opportunities by level and function
- Your choice of Windows or Mac laptop, plus an extra screen
- Onsite gym
- Weekly Fooda credit
- Newly renovated office in the historic Old Main Post Office which is located close to multiple Metra and CTA options
- Employee discounts through Perkspot
- Discounts on Home Chef meal kits and at Kroger stores
- Casual dress in a fun, friendly and collaborative work environment
Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
Home Chef is an equal opportunity employer.
To view the California Applicant Notice click here