At CityBase, we’re building a suite of products for governments and utilities that facilitate richer, more consistent, and more accessible interactions with their customers and constituents. We’re a team of about 60 in Chicago, IL and across the US. Our products are designed and built with a resolute focus on customer happiness. We’re excited to work with you to redesign the way millions of people access information and services.
We use Jira for managing stories and bugs that we address in 2-week sprints (scrum-style agile). Engineers are encouraged to limit in-progress work to one card each where possible. Pairing is optional and supported, but we’ve found that most developers prefer collaborating in design and through the review process and working independently in the code.
Employees are currently working remotely and have our complete support if they want to make this arrangement permanent. Applications are currently open to developers living in the US. CityBase offers a flexible remote model, with the ability to work from our downtown Chicago office and/or remote from home throughout the week.
- Design, build, test, deploy and maintain applications for the delivery of digital services and payments
- Write software that seamlessly integrates the CityBase platform with third-party hardware devices
- Contribute to the evolution of the platform through strong architectural design
- Develop standards, tools, processes, libraries, and frameworks that facilitate the development of reliable, secure, performant, and consistent services
- Identify and resolve issues related to scalability and performance
- Coach and mentor less experienced developers
- 5+ years of professional software development experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails or an equivalent high-level language.
- Professional experience using C/C++ or an equivalent systems programming language to interface with hardware devices
- An appreciation of functional programming and a strong desire to become an expert Elixir programmer
- Experience working with relational databases at scale
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to document system architecture
- Strong preference to succeed as a member of a team
- Experience using Ubuntu Linux as a development platform and device OS target
- Experience building and debugging Docker containers on remote devices
Nice to have:
- Understanding of the challenges inherent in concurrent and distributed systems and strategies for managing them
- Deep knowledge of microservice architecture patterns and anti-patterns
- Experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs and services
- Professional experience with Elixir and Phoenix
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible vacation policy
- 401(k) (no matching yet, but we’re working on it)
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible spending account and dependent flexible spending account
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Short and long term disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership stipend