Senior Software Engineer (Java)
Rocket Travel, Inc., a subsidiary of Booking Holdings, is looking for a Senior Software Engineer with experience with JVM languages like Java, Groovy, and Kotlin to join our engineering team in our West Loop, Chicago office.
You will be involved in all facets of the software development process, from inception to deployment. You should enjoy building new products, playing with APIs and data, and discovering and exploring new technologies and ideas.
At Rocket, we encourage experimentation, so we're not a one language/one framework shop. We hire people who know how to pick the right tool for the job and learn along the way. We regularly use domain specific languages like Groovy and Kotlin in our daily work.
You will be helping our team pursue challenges including:
- Performance-tuning Rocket products to work faster and more efficiently at increasing scale.
- Implementing machine learning solutions in collaboration with our Data Science team bringing our users better results.
- Adding visibility to critical applications and processes.
- Evolving the Rocket toolkit by identifying and recommending the best tool for each task.
- Creating A/B tests to bring our users a constantly improving experience.
- Improving existing code to make it more testable, tested, and resilient.
- Deploying daily to highly-available applications.
- Maintaining a sense of empathy for our customers and moving quickly where users are most acutely affected.
- You have worked with JVM tools and languages in a professional context for at least 3 years at an advanced-level.
- You have used at least one other JVM language other than Java, for at least one project (Groovy, Scala, Kotlin or Clojure).
- You enjoy evaluating complex trade-offs and are capable of making recommendations for your team.
- You have a proven track record of mentoring other engineers.
- You have deployed applications to AWS or a similar cloud provider.
- You are passionate about sharing ownership and product direction for our customer-facing products or internal applications.
- You are passionate about learning and helping your teammates learn.
- You are passionate about how your code translates into a better customer experience.
- You are familiar with agile programming methodologies.
- You are authorized to accept employment in the US from any employer.
- You are available to start within three weeks of accepting an offer, and are willing to work from our Chicago office.
- Having ownership in our products and our customers' experiences, and take actions that can be implemented and deployed in a matter of hours.
- Collaborating closely with experienced business, design, and technology teammates.
- Working with intrinsically motivated folks with a track record for delivering great products.
- Developing software using AWS, GitHub, modern development practices, and the best tools available.
- Receiving a competitive compensation package, including bonus, health/dental insurance, and 401k matching.
- Choosing your own computer/gear.
- Receiving a monthly cell phone stipend.
- Enjoying unlimited vacation, with free travel credits.
- Working remotely as needed, in a team with a remote-friendly culture.
- Learning at bi-monthly engineering lunch-and-learns for professional development.
- Enjoying free snacks, drinks, and coffee at our dog-friendly Chicago office in the West Loop.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
No recruiters, please.