Senior Software Engineer, Ruby
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series A funding round of $6M in 2018. Our engineering team is scrappy, creative, and collaborative with a “Yes, and” mentality. While we’re committed to doing great work, we also cherish having an empathetic, fun environment where everyone feels safe sharing their ideas and problem-solving together. We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results.
Together, we’re solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You will thrive here if you are highly self-motivated and self-directed. In your professional work, you consider your end user to be of highest importance. You are committed to mentorship and lifelong learning, and desire autonomy and full ownership of your products.
Your tools for efficient large-scale data ingestion, combined with the usability of the internal processing tools for our internal domain experts, will determine how fast our company can scale. Primary responsibilities:
- Use creativity and independent thinking to solve technical problems.
- Design and build a large-scale data collection system.
- Build out core backend features using Ruby.
- Collaborate with our internal domain experts to create the tools that will maximize their efficiency.
Minimum Skills and Experience
- Experience writing web applications, preferably using Rails
- Experience with web scraping, high preference for Selenium
- Experience with AWS, particularly S3, ECS, lambda, elasticache
- Experience with scalable distributed applications
- Experience with S3 and cloud-based file management
- Commitment to thorough tests and documentation for maintainable code-bases
- Empathy for and ability to listen to our internal customers and respond to their needs
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with OCR, machine learning
- Experience with data engineering
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, mental health insurance – with premiums fully paid by Ascent
- 401K offered
- Unlimited PTO and Bank Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- Professional development stipend
- Top floor office in Prudential Plaza with an amazing view of the park/lake and Pedway access
- As much RAM as you can fit in a Macbook Pro
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!