Senior Software Engineer, Ruby
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series B funding round of $19.3M in Fall 2019. Founded only four years ago, the team has since grown to almost 50 full time employees, led and supported by an executive team and board of directors with extensive experience in technology, regulatory compliance, sales and business operations. Ascent serves global financial institutions such as ING and CommBank, and is also working directly with regulators around the world in order to continually improve and advance our product.
A first mover in building proprietary RegulationAI™, Ascent delivers market leading regulatory knowledge as a groundbreaking new way for financial firms to manage compliance. It is our mission to help our customers protect their business from regulatory and reputational risk while reducing their overall cost to comply.
We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results. Together, we are solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You will thrive at Ascent if you are highly self-motivated and self-directed. In your professional work, you consider your end user to be of highest importance. You are committed to mentorship and lifelong learning, and desire autonomy and full ownership of your products.
As a Senior Software Engineer with Ascent, your responsibilities will vary by internal team. Below are the responsibilities and skills that are fundamental across our engineering department.
You will be contributing to systems that vary from meta-data extraction from regulatory document, to orchestrating complex data transformation, modeling regulatory data in a graph database, to delivering that data to our customers via UIs and APIs.
- Use creativity and independent thinking to solve technical problems.
- Help build internal tools that allow your non-engineering teammates to interface with and manipulate our data.
- Implement backend and frontend features using Ruby, Rails, and React.
- Collaborate with our internal domain experts to create the tools that will maximize their efficiency.
- Work closely with teammates to help them level up as engineers.
- Collaborate closely with our Product organization to deliver on our customer commitments.
Minimum skills and experience
- Experience writing web applications, preferably using Rails
- Experience writing SQL
- Commitment to thorough tests and documentation for maintainable code-bases
- Empathy for and ability to listen to our internal customers and respond to their needs
- Experience with Heroku and AWS
- Experience with scalable distributed applications
- Graph database, such as Neo4J
- Microservices ecosystem or service-oriented architecture
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance; premiums paid 95% for the individual
- Medical premiums paid 50% for covered dependents
- Life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO
- Professional development stipend
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!