Senior Software Engineer, Switching Platform at Cisco Meraki
Meraki Software Engineers breathe life into our cloud-managed networking devices, which range from switches, routers, and wireless access points to desktop phones and security cameras. We leverage real-time telemetry from thousands of deployed networks spanning the globe to continuously improve the performance and stability of our products.
Platform bring-up Engineers take the lead in building new Meraki products by integrating everything from bootloaders to web servers on prototype hardware. Our device firmware is built on Linux and open-source software. We work individually and in small teams to release several new products each year.
As a Senior Embedded Engineer, you will focus on the following:
- Own projects from block-diagram concepts, to prototype boards that don’t boot, all the way to shipping product.
- Collaborate with our Hardware Engineering team on component selection and high-level architecture for new Meraki products.
- Collaborate with our manufacturing partners to develop secure, reliable, and scalable manufacturing processes.
- Integrate vendor board support packages and software development kits with our firmware and build system.
- Develop, port, and debug Linux device drivers.
- When things don’t go quite as planned—a board doesn’t boot, an LED doesn’t light, a fan doesn’t spin—use a JTAG debugger or logic analyzer or work with the hardware team to debug the problem.
- Collaborate with other Platform Bring-up Engineers across product teams to continually improve our firmware design, development, and deployment practices.
- BS/MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Have 5+ years advanced programming skills in C and/or C++ for operating system kernel & systems development.
- Have solid experience with ethernet switching chipsets (i.e. Broadcom, Marvell, etc.).
- Have strong systems and networking foundational knowledge (systems architecture, memory hierarchy, storage subsystems, LANs, routing).
- Have expert knowledge of embedded systems development concepts, including cross-platform development and build tools (GNU toolchain, OpenWRT, buildroot, Yocto), bootloaders (U-Boot, coreboot, UEFI), kernel configuration, device drivers, device trees.
- Know common bus protocols like I2C, SPI, and MDIO.
- Are comfortable using network protocol analyzers, logic analyzers, hardware debuggers, and source-level debuggers to troubleshoot problems at all layers of the stack.
- Have experience reading schematics and data sheets.
- Upstreaming Linux patches.
- Experience with multi-threaded or parallel programming.
Meraki is headquartered in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco, with beautiful views of the Oracle Ballpark and the Bay beyond. There are also locations in San Jose, Chicago, and Austin. All location offer a generous benefits package.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.