Senior Software Engineer at Morningstar
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for Morningstar’s Power Forecasting code base with wide-ranging programming skill levels. The Power Forecasting model is currently implemented in Python and executes on AWS EMR. Deep and expert experience with both is a must. You will be expected to be an authoritative resource for both Power Forecasting and, on occasion, the wider C&E group, in all areas, including code architecture, code performance, design patterns, best practices, testing frameworks, and code review.
• Design & develop enterprise solutions to be flexible, scalable & extensible
• Collaborate with methodology experts to build out a comprehensive commodity analytic solution.
• Design clear system specifications and maintain a robust development environment via strong documentation and version control.
• Find creative solutions to complex development problems using all technologies at your disposal, especially big data and cloud technologies.
• Recommend improvements to existing development practices and processes.
• Minimum 5+ years of full-stack development
• BS degree in engineering, computer science, statistics, mathematics or equivalent practical experience
• Knowledge of programming in Python (Pandas/ Numpy/ SciPy) and OOPS principles.
• Deep experience with at least one programming language. If this deep knowledge is in Python, that is a plus, but deep experience in any language (e.g. Java, C#) will do.
• Minimum 3+ years of AWS (Lambda, EC2, EMR, and DynamoDB) or other Cloud Computing development experience.
• Solid engineering, coding, and debugging skills. Ability to build, QA, and maintain high-performance production-quality code.
• Familiarity with common data cleaning, data modeling, data warehousing, and munging techniques.
• Demonstrated experience with DevOps or Continuous Integration/Continuous Development tools – Splunk, Git, Jenkins, Code Pipeline, Infrastructure as code (Terraform/Cloudformation).
• Experience working and collaborating with development teams across different regions.
• Proven knowledge of the OWASP principles and enterprise software concerns such as security and scalability.
• Working knowledge of quantitative methods.
• Working knowledge of the commodity and energy markets
• Amazon web services solutions architect/developer certification.
• Experience with at least one statistical modeling language such as R or Julia
• Experience with AWS, Docker, Kubernetes
• Experience with infrastructure as code tools. Terraform is a plus, but any tools in this area such as CloudFormation, Ansible, Chef, or Puppet.
• Experience with Spark, EMR, Athena, Glue
• Experience building/using RESTful APIs
• AWS Certification (Solutions architect) is a big plus
• Experience working in Agile Scrum-based methodologies is a plus.
• Excellent debugging skills on Unix/Linux and Windows-based operating systems.
• Ability to learn new technologies or programming environment.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity