This position is open to fully-remote candidates who can work from anywhere in the United States and Canada. Candidates also have the option to work from one of our office locations in Chicago or Toronto.
Who we are: Vivid Seats is the largest independent online ticket marketplace, sending tens of millions of fans to live events. We believe in the power of experiences and are fiercely dedicated to building products that inspire human connections. Named as one of Built In Chicago's top 10 places to work in 2021, we believe that our People are our greatest competitive advantage. To support our People, we have built a company culture that empowers our employees to embrace challenges, encourages unity through collaboration, and seeks to constantly evolve by leveraging data and inspiring innovation.
The Opportunity: As a Senior Engineer you'll make highly visible enhancements to our platform by maintaining and building new features across our Core Java applications. Our teams work with a variety of applications that enable our ability to sell tickets, manage inventory, support our internal users, and provide a great customer experience from the website to the box office.
How your role contributes to the success of Vivid Seats:
- Help set the direction of the design and development of the backend systems powering our B2C Marketplace.
- Develop innovative solutions that give Vivid Seats a competitive advantage, mentor engineers, encourage team members, and champion technology improvements for your delivery team.
- Work cross functionally in Agile development teams that deploy to AWS production environments on demand, multiple times a day.
- Tackle some of the most difficult challenges scaling an e-commerce marketplace by developing creative algorithms and features that maximize value and efficiency across the organization.
- Partner with a team of Product Owners, Quality Engineers, and Engineers to deliver exceptional software, showcasing your work at the end each work cycle.
- Implement your expertise for best practices in design patterns, code quality, testing, and innovation to keep our commitment of always putting our customers first.
How your role expectations will progress as a Senior Engineer in the first 30, 90, and 180 days:
30 days in:
- Complete new hire orientation, gaining the resources you need to be successful
- Learn how ticket marketplaces operate and how you'll contribute to providing great experiences for our customers
- Acclimate to team and company norms, business objectives, and Vivid Seats values
- Develop basic understanding of applications, tech stack, and development process.
90 days in:
- Enhance our approaches, methods, or technologies to mitigate risks and improve efficiencies
- Build, maintain, and leverage internal and external relationships to achieve progress and advance objectives
- Apply technical learnings that align with the product roadmap to overall department and organizational goals that drive company initiatives forward.
- Contribute to team planning, estimations and software design sessions.
180 days in:
- Design and implement process improvements that positively impacts the team
- Mentor others, playing an active role in elevating the skill sets of those you work with
- Guide the team's work so that it fits into the larger team and engineering group objectives.
- Produce and deliver clean, correct code that drives team and company tech goals forward.
- Improve efficiency in core systems and applications managed by the team and contribute to engineering group objectives.
What You'll Bring:
- A proven career developing Web based, Distributed and Multi-Tier architecture using Java/J2EE or other major platforms (Python, Scala, Clojure, etc.)
- Experience designing, building and testing web services and APIs.
- Strong knowledge of Spring, REST, Service Oriented Architecture, OAuth, Basic Authentication and PCI.
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into high-level designs and act as a subject matter expert in software design, architecture, implementation, deployment and support across our full platform.
- Proficient in SQL and relational database modeling.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values the critical importance of a diverse workforce and sense of belonging. Many of our roles have flexible requirements and we encourage you to apply regardless of whether you meet every qualification.
Vivid Seats provides competitive compensation; bonus incentives; FLEX PTO; mental health days; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401K matching; monthly credits and discounts for attending live events; remote work and snack allowances; and a variety of additional workplace perks.