Senior Software Engineer at Morningstar
The Group: The Investment Management group is a global team guided by Morningstar’s investment principles focused on delivering great long-term investment results to help end-investors reach their financial goals. Morningstar® Managed PortfoliosSM, our complete wealth management platform serving financial advisors, offers a broad lineup of strategies built with stocks, mutual funds, and ETFs to help meet an investor’s needs at each stage of their lifetime.
At Morningstar, helping investors is what brings us together and drives our work. We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer with preferably full-stack experience. This position will be part of an engineering team focused on updating Morningstar’s Wealth management platform. The position includes development of new systems and maintenance and improvement of existing applications. Candidates should have solid software engineering experience in building commercial-grade Web-based applications using modern SPA technology. You will work with other engineers to develop APIs and modernize the platform to build leading product experiences. A successful candidate will be able to play an active role in managing the prioritization of work in order to meet project goals. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Create cascading style sheets (CSS) that are consistent across all browsers and platforms.
• Use an Agile approach to iteratively maintain and develop new functionality.
• Work with server-side engineers to build robust RESTful and/or SOAP-based Web services.
• Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies.
• Promote usability best practices.
• A bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, or other related field.
• 3-5 years experience with SPA client-side frameworks such as Vue.js, Angular.js or Ember.js.
• 3-5 years experience with server-side technologies such as Node.JS, Java, or C#.
• Proven knowledge of enterprise software concerns such as security, scalability, transaction management, and concurrency.
• Familiarity with design patterns like MVC and MVVM required.
• Experience with Amazon Web Services a plus.
• Experience working in Scrum-based methodologies is a plus.
• Experience working with SASS, and builds process management tools like Webpack, NPM, Grunt or Gulp.
• Highly motivated individual with the potential and desire to learn new technologies and take on an increasing level of responsibility within the technology team.
• Ability to work independently, communicates effectively, and produce superior results.
• Experience within the financial services industry is desirable